Saturday, December 3, 2016

Friday, December 2, 2016

Today is another overcast day.

Among today’s new US movie releases there isn’t anything I want to see.  (When are the movies coming out for the Christmas season?)  Locally there isn’t anything I want to see.

I received 2 emails from MBE that I have documents waiting for pickup.

Laura left for work and Teresa and her mother went to get their nails repaired while I went to the gym.

At 2:15 we left the apt in a light rain.  We waited for a taxi for about 10 minutes and then Teresa proclaimed we’d run out of time and we went inside and she called Martha and rescheduled us for 9am tomorrow.

Teresa wanted to go to Santafe to exchange her blouse so I said ok.  By this time it had stopped raining and Teresa told me I could leave my umbrella at home.  (You know where this is going.)

It took us about 10 minutes to catch a taxi to Santafe.  We had a nice fish for her, pasta for me, lunch at Parmessano for 64,130 pesos (about $22).

I finished Frank Brady’s Endgame and downloaded Cornelius Ryan’s The Longest Day.  The former book, an easy read, is a biography of Bobby Fischer by another chess player who knew him for years.  Two thoughts (my own) about him:  First, he couldn’t tolerate losing and if you don’t play you can’t lose.  Second, he couldn’t stand the thought of anyone making money off him.  For example, if I brought someone to him that would pay $50 for his autograph he would be happy to oblige.  But if he learned I would get $5 for doing that he would want the $5 also so he would give up the $50.  After winning the championship in 1972 he did that numerous times for what amounted to millions of dollars.

I walked Teresa to Zara and then walked down to the corner and caught a bus to Parque Poblado.  It started raining again while I was on the crowded bus.  When I got off I ducked under some awnings and waited at the corner for the pedestrian light to come on before I ventured out.

At MBE I picked up an envelope from one of my pension companies and my book.  (Wow, it made it here in just 6 days.)  I asked the ladies working in the office if they thought the rain would stop soon and they said “no”.

I waited under their awning until an Envigado bus came by.  I got off at Oviedo mall, walked a block and crossed the street (after a 2-minute wait) and up the hill to the closest entrance to Santafe.  By then I had officially changed from just wet to soaked.

I found Teresa in Barishka (sp?) and told her we needed to leave.  She asked me why I didn’t take a taxi.  (I didn’t think of it but I probably would have had to stand out in the rain for a couple minutes to hail one what with everyone else wanting one too.)
We waited at the entrance for a couple minutes for our turn to catch a taxi.  It was a slow trip back in heavy traffic and heavy rain.
The music from the park started about 6pm and ended about midnight.

I did another hour of tactics training on Chess Magnet School but didn’t get promoted.


T-shirt of the day: Absolutely, I do not care at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment