Friday, December 23, 2016

Thursday, December 22, 2016

I forgot to mention that I got buttered popcorn at the theater the other day.  Actually, it was drenched in butter!  Too much of a good thing.  (Not all theaters here have it.)  

I left the apt at 11:30 to buy Teresa a Christmas present.  (Laura knew I was going and asked me to buy some cinnamon rolls at Cinnabon.  She had just last night tried them for the first time.)  I knew Teresa wanted a pair of shoes and I had found her size in a pair of shoes she left in her closet.  They were US size 6 ½.  She told me if I get her shoes they should be Colombian size 36 (US size 6).  I took a bus and got off at Santafe.

I checked out Zara, Falabella and Bon Bonite but didn’t find anything I liked.  I walked down the hill to cross the street and while waiting for the pedestrian light to change to green a young man on the corner offered me a sample of the sugar coated peanuts he was selling.  Speaking to me in English he said they are the best in the world, are hot and for only 1,000 or 2,000 pesos.  I told him maybe “later”.

In Oviedo I found a pair of shoes I liked but they weren’t available in her size.  I found another pair they had and I bought them for 164,900 pesos (about $56).

I walked back across the street and bought a bag of peanuts for 2,000 pesos.  I asked the guy how he knew I was a gringo and he said by my clothes and my Ray Ban sunglasses.  (Although they could have been cheap knockoffs that they sell downtown.)

Back in Santafe I bought a sleeve of 5 small cinnamon rolls at Cinnabon for a little less than 5,000 pesos.

I quickly caught a bus back to the apt.  A couple guys got on the bus on the way back started singing rap; I wish I could find the person who started that music genre!

Teresa tried on the shoes, proclaimed they were too small (and that’s my fault?) and after lunch went back to Oviedo with her mother.

After lunch I made a quick trip to Exito for a few things.

I did another 30 minutes of tactics on Chess Magnet School.

Teresa came back with a new pair of shoes she liked so all is good.
The music from the park started at 6pm.  About 9pm much louder music started from an apartment in the building across the street.  It’s like they wanted the whole world to hear.  (Maybe I should get some loud speakers and share MY music with them and the rest of the neighborhood.)  Thankfully, the music stopped just after 10:30pm.  I’m beginning to think that Envigado, thankfully, has a noise ordinance starting at 11pm.  We’ll see how it goes for the coming weekend holidays; that will be the real test.


T-shirt of the day: Life is like a bicycle.  You just have to keep moving.

4 comments:

  1. As from January, a new police code starts to be in place. If you have a neighbour who plays loud music at incovenient hours, contact the orter first or call the police. The police now has the power to go into buildings or houses and swtich off the energy ssupply if the music continues. BUT neighbours have to make a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, would that be the power for the entire building that the Police would cut, or just to the offending apartment? (Maybe it just depends.)

    Well I'm just curious but it seems like if the offender is in your same building and the owner doesn't respond to curb the offender and the power was then cut off to your entire building then you could sort of be shooting yourself in the foot, as it were, for having complained.

    Just FWIW though, cutting the power to the offender's apartment for a number of hours really DOES seem like a most effective way to 'get the message across' to them.

    Cheers!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my case they were in another building. One time when I lived in Laureles it seemed like teenagers took over a home and would party until 2/3 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone affected by noise from neighbours can call the police. Paul M, only affects to the people making noise. And yes, i see your point. I guess in a situation like this I would be anonymous. You never know. However, the law also work both ways: if the police suspects that something is going on in a flat they can go in, no warrant at all.

    ReplyDelete