Thursday, December 8, 2016

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Today is the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

When I woke up my hips were sore but that disappeared after I got moving a bit.

Today was another overcast day.

Teresa had something doing with her mother so I went to the gym alone, again being careful with my leg exercises.

Back at the apt I took my shower (cold) changed clothes and left the apt at noon.  (The clouds were thick but not dark but I took my small umbrella anyway.)  I quickly caught a metro bus to the Envigado metro station.  Outside Estacion Hospital I walked down to Aventura mall in a light rain and arrived just before 1pm.  I went upstairs to their food court and chose to have lunch at Qbano.  I had a large chicken teriyaki sandwich with fries and Coke.  After, I just read my Nook book until 1:50.

Backing up, before today’s games I didn’t review my usual chess openings at all but I’ve been studying tactics for the past 2 weeks or so.  I’ve also read most of the first chapter of Aron Nimzovitch’s My System.  He emphasized the need to mobilize your pieces before starting an attack.  That includes not moving any piece twice and trying to develop by attacking your opponent’s overly aggressive pieces.

At Dario’s store I played the Black pieces first and I played the Sicilian Defense.  He played his king’s knight to the wing where it stayed for the rest of the game.  I was able to get a bishop a couple squares in front of his king that hampered his development.  For once he was behind on time; I just seemed to be seeing things quicker and clearer.  He resigned on his 25th move.  (I did blunder and should have lost my bishop but he missed the right continuation.)

I had White in the second game and traded pieces to double 2 of his pawns and prevent his king from castling.  He blundered on his 25th move and resigned.  (We were about even on time at that point.)

To celebrate I bought myself a churro when I got back to Parque Envigado.

I saw an ad for the movie Sully which starts tomorrow in Medellin.  I think we’re going to go see it in the afternoon.


T-shirt of the day: Expect nothing.  Appreciate everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment