Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Finally, a sunny morning with only a few clouds.

I looked at the Facebook page for El Viejo y El Pancake and it said it was open today.

I put on my shorts, t-shirt and sandals and left the apt just after 9:30am.   I met Chuck at a local bakery and we had a cup of coffee together.  After waiting 10 minutes at the corner for a bus we walked to the metro.  At San Antonio we transferred to the west line.

At the foot of the steps outside Estacion Estadio we saw that the restaurant wasn’t open.  I told Chuck there are lots of other restaurants along 70th street so we started walking up the block.  We ran into another gringo named Alan (310 665 8030) so we asked him where he recommended we have lunch.

He led us about 6 blocks away (Calle 42A #68A-09) to a restaurant named La Boccata.  Their menu included salads, pizza, pasta, paninis, hamburgers, etc.  We each had a nice lunch for about 20mil.

Alan walked us back towards the metro station and then we said goodbye and continued on our way to the stadium area.
I made a stop in a public restroom that had no toilet seat, no toilet paper and no soap in the toilet dispenser.  Luckily I had a small package of toilet paper with me.

We walked over to the chess league office where there was a single tournament game going on – king and rook vs king and knight.
We walked over to one of the smaller soccer fields where we watched the end of a match where Itagui beat another team.  Being so close to the field we were impressed by how fast the action was.
A dark cloud passed overhead and I felt a couple raindrops but nothing more came of it.

We walked by another building filled with empty chairs and dozens of people waiting outside.  We each bought a bag of freshly made potato chips for 2,000 pesos (about 65 cents).  We watched a few people bring trophies and what looked like goodie bags into the building.  We guessed this was where the awards ceremony would be.  We stopped at a large truck where the goodie bags were coming from and I asked to look inside one of them.  They each contained a snack like a snack bar, chips, and a juice drink.
We took the metro back to Envigado, quickly caught a bus back to the park and said goodbye.  We’ll get together again when Chuck’s wife leaves for a trip to her hometown of Cali.

I watched the pilot episode of Cheers.  (It got better later in its run.)  Then I watched the pilot episode of Seinfeld which was much better than Cheers.

I did another 20 minutes on Chess Magnet School.

Teresa showed me where I got a little sunburn on my shoulders.


T-shirt of the day: Ladies, I have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment