Monday, November 13, 2023

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6:45.

I left the apt at 8:30 and met Glenn with Bianca in Olivenza at 9am. For his upcoming (health insurance covered) hernia surgery he needs to first meet with the anesthesiologist. He asked when that will be and was told up to 3 months.

For breakfast I ordered the French toast with bacon. I asked for it quemada (burned). I still had to send it back once for them to get it close to crispy. I’m going to give up on the bacon here.

He left at 10am and I left at 10:15 and walked back to the apt. I found a flyer on the table in the porteria advertising Tienda D1’s grand opening this Tuesday, the 14th. We already have lots of traffic on our street, I can’t imagine what another grocery store is going to do.

We left at 11:15 and took a Didi to Jardin de Botanico. We didn’t have to pay an entrance fee and Teresa led me to a pond where there were 2 benches. Here you can see turtles sunning themselves on 2 large rocks:




We took one of the benches and carefully set up the parcheesi set Teresa brought.

At the other bench, behind my back, various girls briefly sat there in fancy dresses and had photos taken by professional photographers, at least men with those fancy cameras with huge long lenses. The most impressive was a girl with the whitest skin I’ve seen with long reddish-brown hair. I wondered if she was Irish. I never did see her face.

After a few games Teresa brought out her “Tupperware” with chicken breast and vegetables for lunch. Right away I asked, “where’s my barbeque sauce?”. Of course, she forgot it. We walked around a little and found a small bazaar set up. We also found an area with a few tables and quickly commandeered one. We shared an avocado ice cream bar and an obleas and played a couple more games of parcheesi. (I think she beat me like 4 games to 2; and does she gloat about it, at least as much as I do when I win.) There was another girl in a fancy black prom-like dress having photos taken and later she changed into a shorter dress. I asked Teresa if this was for quinciañera? She said it’s popular place for that, birthdays, first communions, and any other special occasions.

I understand the park closes officially at 4pm and we left just before 5pm and walked through a children’s carnival (complete with pony rides) to the metro. It was only a 10-minute wait for a metro car and we got off at Ayurá station. Teresa said she was hungry so we took a taxi directly to Antica pizzeria where we had our usual pizza. We walked down the hill and bought 2 chocolate croissants at the bakery before returning to the apt (in heavy traffic downtown Envigado with the Christmas lights) by taxi.

Tomorrow Teresa wants to go to Parque Arvi but she’s afraid it might be closed for some reason. (They are closed on Mondays unless it is a holiday in which case they are closed on Tuesday.)

I understand the bridge that has the problem is much closer to Santafe de Antioquia than San Jeronimo so it won’t be a problem for us for Christmas.

 

CHOOSING A CHILDFREE LIFE



No comments:

Post a Comment