Friday, March 30, 2018

Thursday, March 29, 2018


Today is a holiday – Maundy Thursday – commemorating the last supper of Jesus Christ and his Apostles.  Outside the streets are nearly empty as everyone has probably gone away for the long weekend to their fincas.

I slept pretty well despite getting up 3 times during the night.

Teresa informed me that the bank is closed today so I might have to wait until Monday to retrieve the cash I sent myself using World Remit.

I’m learning that while showtimes change on Friday in the States, here they change on Thursday.  Tomb Raider is now playing at Oviedo starting at 9:40pm, too late for me.

We left the apt at 9:45 and walked down the hill where we quickly caught a taxi to Mayorista.  First we stopped in El Langostinos where Teresa picked up some seafood.  Then in Euro she picked up meat and a few other things.  I looked for an imported lemon for my tea and a few imported oranges but today they had neither.  I charged both purchases but had I known it was going to be so inexpensive I would have just brought cash.

Just before we left the grocery store it started raining.  Our driver had an umbrella for Teresa to hold over him while loading our groceries into his trunk but it quickly came apart.  In the old car he had to wipe away the fog from his windshield.  He didn’t have the defroster setting set on his heater and his umbrella was under the windshield anyway so I’m guessing it probably was out of order.  He helped us carry our few bags into the apt and I gave him 10,000 pesos.

After lunch I met Chuck in the park.  On the way I noticed that Calle 37Sur is now open and I saw 2 people playing chess at the chess room.  Chuck was already sitting with Ron, his older brother visiting from the States, and Willie the Belgian.  They all had lunch while I had café con leche.  Chuck told me that there is a religious procession that is supposed to start tonight at 8:30.

The others left and Chuck and I walked down to the bakery where I had a croissant with a café con leche.  Willie eventually showed up again and I told him a lot of jokes.  He’s a very good audience as he often cracked up.  I finally left about 5:30.

I received an email from Amazon that my can opener has shipped.

I was watching a new episode of Mayday when my TV Listener headphones started dying.  I managed to finish the episode by periodically turning off and on the headphones.  I need to buy 2 new rechargeable AAA batteries for the headphones.

Starting about 8:30 I could hear a loud voice over a PA system so I guess the religious procession has begun.

I spent some time solving puzzles on Chess Magnet School.  In the future I think the best place to start over again, if possible, would be with the title of Yeoman.

Well, Teresa didn’t celebrate this religious holiday.

T-shirt of the day: Spread your own ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment