Friday, June 7, 2019

Thursday, June 6, 2019


Today marks the 75th anniversary of the Allied forces landing in Normandy to free Europe from the Nazis.  Aka D-Day!  Thank you to all who served and sacrificed.

Last night I went to bed at 11pm, got up once during the night, again at 4:45, finally waking at 7am and getting up at 7:45.

I watched the first hour of the Today show then took a 45-minute nap.

We found a notice under our door that we’re getting new guards who will be carrying weapons.  I think the change starts this Saturday night at 6pm.

I sat on the couch for 5 minutes and when I got up I had a stabbing pain in my back so I took half an Excedrin Migraine.

I watched lessons 9-17 of Simon Williams’ The Killer Dutch DVD.  Each lesson is only about 5-15 minutes long and there are 58 lessons.

I left the apt at 1:45 and took a Sabaneta bus downtown.  Walking to nueve eps I noticed another Banco Caja Social, this one across the street from the paper store.  I picked up Teresa’s blood test results and stopped at a flower store where I bought a dozen red roses for 12mil ($4).

I took an Envigado bus back to La Buena Mesa and stopped at the bakery.  They didn’t have any English muffins but I bought a plain bagel for 2,100 pesos.  I was back at the apt by 2:30.

It looked like there was a turnover meeting with our guards and who I assume will be the new guards.

Teresa and I left the apt at 3:30 for her 4:30 dentist appointment.  Of course we arrived 35 minutes early so Teresa made a quick trip to Zara.

At the dentist’s office she was fitted for a “mouthguard” (not sure if that’s the right word for it) to wear during the night so she doesn’t grind her teeth.  She has to wear it for the next 20 minutes, then every night for the next week when we return for a followup appointment. I paid 250mil of the 370mil bill. 

She spent at least another hour in Zara and then we went to Crepes & Waffles for something to eat.  She had the mushroom cheese chicken crepe and I had the chicken breast pita.  Plus 2 juices and the total came to 51,300 ($17) including tip.

I saw a sign announcing that Cirque de Soleil is coming to Medellin for the first time.  I told Teresa we should buy tickets.  She reported that a friend told her that a ticket costs 500,000 pesos and she would rather keep the money.  Sigh!

We stopped in Carulla where we picked up some apples and were back at the apt just after 8pm.

My cellphone was down to something like 3% so I plugged it into the new charger on my desk.  I was reaching to adjust the cord and I knocked my cellphone on the floor.  Yikes!  I plugged it back in and I didn’t see the usual “charging” displayed.  I tried using a couple of apps and they didn’t register.  I tried turning it off and that didn’t work.  Yikes!  I plugged it into another charger for the night.

5,886 steps today.

Joke of the day
Two friends who grew old together made a deal that whoever died first would come back and inform the other how life after death was. Their biggest fear was that there was no after life at all.
After a long life, Dan was the first to die. Benny mourned him, and waited for him to come and visit.
 True to his word, two months later, as Benny was sleeping, the voice of Dan appeared in his head.
"Benny...Benny..."
"My gosh... Is that you, Dan?"
"Yes, I've come back like we agreed."
"That's wonderful!  What's it like?"
"Well, I get up in the morning, I have intercourse. I have breakfast and then it's off to the golf course. I have intercourse again, bathe in the warm sun and then have intercourse a couple more times... then I have lunch (keeping healthy, lots of greens). 
Another romp around the golf course, then pretty much have intercourse the rest of the afternoon. After supper, it's back to the golf course again. Then it's more intercourse until late at night. I catch some much needed sleep and then the next day it starts all over again".
"Wow, Dan!  Heaven sounds amazing!"
"What heaven?  I'm a rabbit somewhere in Arizona."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Terry,
    When I read that tix for Cirque de Soleil were reported by Teresa's friend to be US$500 I got curious and decided to check and see. Here's what I found, FWIW:
    Tix for Cirque de Soleil, yes, are pricey and indeed, a top price ticket (Premium Gold) figures out to US$227(!)
    The next lower price level, the Platino, is US$139, still rather pricey.
    But then there's Lower Level General seating which is much less, at US$94.00. And the even lower priced Upper Level General seating is only US$54.00.

    If this makes you cruious at all, here's a link to the pricing plus a seating map:
    https://www.eticket.co/paso1c.aspx?idevento=12544

    It's kind of a wonder that CdS can expect to command such hefty prices in a 3rd world country like Colombia.

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry if i wrote $500. She said 500mil which is about $150. Still pricey but its like a one in a lifetime experience i thought she would appreciate, at least afterwards. I saw there incredible show when i was in Las Vegas briefly in 2000.

    There are people here with money!

    ReplyDelete