Thursday, October 28, 2021

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Recovery Day #124!

Last night I went to bed at 10:15, got up twice during the night, again at 4:30, couldn’t fall back asleep, did my Kegel exercises and got up at 6:15.

It’s 6:30 in the morning and a man is walking down the street yelling, “El Colombiano”, the newspaper.

I left the apt just after 8am to meet Glenn at La Frontera. I crossed Ave. Poblado and a block past the creek the sidewalk ended. I retraced my steps and crossed to the west side and followed the sidewalk and this time there was a pedestrian detour that took me past Glenn’s apt complex. A couple more blocks and I was rerouted back up to Ave. Poblado. I crossed the street and Glenn and Bianca were waiting for me.

We soon were in a taxi to Poblado. The driver wanted to turn up Calle 7 but I insisted we continue to Calle 10 and we soon were in heavy traffic. (He probably was right and knew a shortcut.) When we arrived at Carrera 37 we found it was northbound only and I was pretty sure my Maps app showed it was southbound only. We got out and it was a short block to Botanika at Calle 9A #37-3. We got a table on the street side and ordered coffee. Not five minutes went by and I had already given out 3 1mil coins to street people. We moved further inside the restaurant with the other customers.

Glenn ordered a cappuccino and I ordered my usual café con leche (latte). She brought me an Americano coffee (I found out later according to the bill) with a little cup of milk. It didn’t taste like what I usually get either. I ordered an omelet with toast and Glenn ordered their French toast. Since his coffee looked more like a café con leche than mine I pointed to it and asked the waitress for the same. It WAS a cappuccino, so I never got to enjoy a café con leche.

I told Glenn I had another place for us to try for breakfast, Parmessano in La Strada.

We agreed that here in Colombia at least “bodega” means “storage”.

The bill came to 63,900 including a 16% tip which is unusual, usually they only add a 10% tip. The waitress, Andrea, handed me a card which requested a Trip Advisor review. I thought the food was good but I didn’t care for the coffee. I would give them another chance to see if they get the coffee right, however.

We quickly caught a taxi but for some reason before we got in I asked the driver if he could take us to Viva Envigado. He told us he wouldn’t go to Envigado.

The next taxi driver agreed but I knew something was wrong when he took the bridge over the river instead of turning onto Ave. Las Vegas. My mistake as I forgot to mention Ave. Las Vegas. The driver took Ave. Guayabal south through Itagui until turning onto Envigado’s Pan de Queso bridge. I got out across from Viva Envigado and Glenn continued on towards his apt.

Teresa called and asked me to buy broccoli in Exito but only if it wasn’t prepackaged like before. If I couldn’t find it she wanted me to go to Mercado Madrid. I bought a small tube of Acyclovir and a bottle of Melatonin. (Only later did I discover they were 3mg capsules that I can’t divide in half. I need to be more attentive.) Exito didn’t have the broccoli that Teresa wanted so I took a taxi to Mercado Madrid, bought a head of broccoli and walked the 2 blocks back to the apt.

I left at 2:30 and stopped at Tienda D1 because Teresa thought they sold ADs. Nope! I had coffee at Parva, bought a 20-pack of ADs at Pasteur and returned to the apt.

Tonight, when I did my TENS 3000 exercise I couldn’t feel anything. I checked all the connections and even switched the cable to the other side of the device and still nothing. We’ll see what happens tomorrow. Maybe I need to change the battery.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 70,291 ð 70,824 ð 71,962 new cases and 1,440 ð 1,400 ð 1,395 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday, Colombia has a total of 1,536 ð 1,428 ð 1,680 new cases with 32 ð 34 ð 26 new deaths. Medellin has 218 ð 269 ð 225 new cases from October 26th to 27th. Envigado has 16 ð 11 ð 5 new cases from October 26th to 27th.

T-shirt of the day

Cheer Leader.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, if you ever need/want to replace your TENS unit Amazon has lots of models to choose from that are rechargeable if you cannot find a good replacement one in Medellin. I used one when I had a very bad case of Shingles and still use it for aches and pains, especially when I strain my back.
    Jack Williams
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete