Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Monday, October 25, 2021

Recovery Day #123!

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up twice during the night, woke up just after 6:30, did my Kegel exercises and got up at 7am.

Continuing with my SS verification struggles I again went to

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SlcspView.action

and chose “Create a new account” & “Sign in with Login.gov”.

I entered my email address & password I setup yesterday.

I’m back to “Authentication method setup”. My choices are:

1.   Security Key: Use a security key that you have. It’s a physical device that you plug in or that is built into your computer or phone (it often looks like a USB flash drive). Recommended because it is more phishing resistant.

2.    Government Employee Id: Insert your government or military PIV or CAC card and enter your PIN.

3.    Authentication application: Get codes from an app on your phone, computer, or tablet. Recommended because it is harder to intercept than texts or phone calls.

4.   Phone: Get security codes by text message (SMS) or phone call. Please do not use web-based (VOIP) phone services.

5.    Backup codes: We’ll give you 10 codes. You can use backup codes as your only authentication method, but it is the least recommended method since notes can get lost. Keep them in a safe place.

# 5 – Phone - Get security codes by text message (SMS) or phone call. Please do not use web-based (VOIP) phone services.

Well, for some reason my cellphone doesn’t seem to receive SMS message as I’ve already tried that with Citibank, Didi and others. I don’t know if somehow I’ve turned that feature off on my phone or what’s going on.

 

#1 – Security Key - Use a security key that you have. It’s a physical device that you plug in or that is built in to your computer or phone (it often looks like a USB flash drive). Recommended because it is more phishing resistant.

After researching Security Keys I learned one of the cons is:

·        The USB security key would permanently occupy a USB port, which means you would lose one of your USB ports forever.

Well, that won’t work for me.

 

I think I’m going to have to go with #5 Backup codes. I selected that and clicked continue…

Are you sure? We’ll give you backup codes to save and use.


Backup codes are not very safe because they can easily be lost or stolen. If you can, choose a different method (use a phone, download an authentication application, or use a security key).

If you continue with backup codes, keep them safe. We’ll give you 10 codes that you can download, print, copy or write down. Later, you’ll have to enter one every time you sign in.

I selected this option and they gave me a list of 10 backup codes, each one of which looks something like X5T3-Y47I-8F38.

I took a screenshot and also copied them to a word file.

Now it says, “You’ve created an account with Login.gov. We’ll share this information with SSA.”

I’m finally in the Social Security website…

You must be able to verify some information about yourself and:

- Have a valid email address;
- Have a Social Security number;
- Have a U.S. mailing address; and
- Be at least 18 years of age.

 

Here’s where it gets dicey...re: my U.S. mailing address. I entered the newest address for my ship forwarding company in Florida. They then asked for more information, and I gave them my IL driver’s license.

Of course, they had to send an activation code to my landline. Sigh! I quickly plugged in my MagicJack and put on my headphones. Nothing. I asked them to resend it and actually received a call with the 8-digit activation code. I entered it and now I’m in. I now have an account with My Social Security. Yay!

I couldn’t find anything about next year’s payment, but I did see where I could print my current Benefit Verification Letter if I had a printer. They had an option “What can you do if you need a paper copy and don't have a printer?

I clicked on that and all they said was

  • If you do not have access to a printer, you may request a paper copy of your Benefit Verification Letter be mailed to your address on record. This address can be found at the top of your electronic Benefit Verification Letter PDF.



  • The letter should arrive within 10 business days.

 

A lot of help that would be. I need it now!

Back at the Benefit Verification Letter I clicked on the print icon and saw “Microsoft Print to PDF” and was able to send it to my USB drive. Whew! I think I’m done here. I finally found the logout in a drop-down box for my name.

In his attack Angry_Horse blundered a rook and resigned increasing my rating to 1562.

I was getting dressed about 1:30 to go to Parva for coffee when Teresa suggested we go to Mayorca. Okay. But first she had to take a 5-minute nap and then a shower. I was already dressed so I just laid down on the recliner for a short nap. At 2pm it started drizzling. At 2:30 she was ready to go but then we heard a loud peal of thunder.

At 4:30 I changed into my pajamas. Obviously we’re not going to Mayorca and I missed my opportunity to go for coffee.

After some tests and conferring with Glenn we’ve decided the most cost-effective way to get your dollars here in pesos is:

1.   A no fee Debit/Credit card.

2.   Remitly, using their economy (3-day prior) option.

3.   World Remit.

4.   Currency Exchange (the absolute worst)

We’ve excluded the option of doing a bank to bank transfer from the US to Colombia which might be necessarrry if you need to transfer a very large (more than $1000) amount.

At 4:58 Teresa suggested we order sandwiches from Los Portenos. I reminded her they only deliver from 1pm-5pm.

At 6pm she suggested we order burgers (McPollo for her) from McDonald’s. I managed to defer until 6:15 then placed the order and it arrived by motorcycle at 6:45.

Teresa is getting antsy to return to the gym. I told her to go ahead and have fun with her amigas but just take it easy at first.

My plan for tomorrow is to take a taxi from here to Unicentro mall, print my official benefit statement then walk to Inter-Col about 8 blocks away.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 73,365 ð 72,644 ð 70,291 new cases and 1,513 ð 1,508 ð 1,440 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday, Colombia has a total of 1,660 ð 1,369 ð 1,536 new cases with 38 ð 35 ð 32 new deaths. Medellin has 262 ð 244 ð 218 new cases from October 24th to 25th. Envigado has 11 ð 12 ð 16 new cases from October 24th to 25th.

T-shirt of the day

Forever or never.

No comments:

Post a Comment