Monday, December 4, 2023

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up twice during the night, woke up at 6:15, fell back asleep, finally getting up at 7:15.

I met Glenn with Bianca at Olivenza at 9am.

His hernia surgery was cancelled and he’s waiting on the doctor to give him a new date. He has a hearing aid out of order and we discussed how he could get it sent to the US for repair. He mentioned he cancelled his cellphone service with Tigo/Une and switched to Claro.

I told him about the strange email I received from USPS and wondered if it’s real or a scam:


I had the calentao with scrambled eggs and a (stale) dinner roll with butter. I also had 2 lattes and a glass of ice water for 33,324 pesos.

I drew a losing game against Troyclough dropping my rating 2 points to 1577.

I returned to the apt noting that the Otra Parte patio appeared to be open. I just don’t know how hot it is in the morning sun even with umbrella tables.

Teresa and I left the apt at 12:20 and took a Didi to Museo de Castillo (Castle Museum) in Poblado. There was a short but slow line that took us about 30 minutes to get to the ticket booth. It cost us 34mil ($8.50) for the entry for the 2 of us. The main attraction was a dozen different pasebres (mangers) in a low-lit room. That was interesting but only took about 5 minutes to view.

Outside there were a lot fewer tents with food options than last time we were here. They did have a tent selling Belgium waffles with ice cream but of course that was “demasiado dulce” for Teresa.

I led her to the restaurant in back where I took a seat at a table for 2 while she checked out the food options. In the meantime, I noticed a young girl bring a sandwich to her table so I knew that had at least that. When Teresa returned, she recommended the apple pie. I asked about the sandwich and she said something about it being reserved or preordered. I went to the cashier and asked about the sandwich and was told it was ham and cheese so I bought one with a bottle of water. She had brought a container of broccoli and carrots for herself. For dessert we shared a slice of apple pie with café con leches.

I was walking to the restroom when this red squirrel came towards me on a railing. By the time I got my cellphone out, turned it on, entered my pin, and found the camera app he was already leaving.



That would have been a beautiful photo had I been ready. We walked around a little bit and sat on the side of a hill for a few minutes. Teresa was hungry and wanted to go to the mall nearby where we had the great chicken sandwich.

We left at 3:45pm and took a Didi up the hill to Complex Los Balsos where we took a table on Valentina’s patio. I think the café was running out of things so she ordered a tort with blueberries and lattes for each of us. We both agreed the tort was nothing special and we left most of it.

We left at 4:30 and returned to the apt by Didi.

Teresa still hadn’t had much to eat and even though I still had ribs in the fridge, we left at 6:45 and took a Didi to the patacones place which was a little busy for a Sunday night.

I wasn’t really hungry so after Teresa finished her patacon she helped me with a few bites of mine. She then had a couple empanadas and something else. As usual we stopped at the bakery (they were officially closed but the girl was sitting there) and bought 2 pastries for the porteros. We have to cross a fairly busy 1-way street to wait for a taxi on the other side. I saw the cars 100 yards away waiting for the light to change. I started crossing the street and the next thing I know I have a car barreling down on me honking his horn. Best I can figure is he didn’t have his headlights on until he saw me. I backed up and Teresa read me my rights, “this is Colombia not the United States”.

We had an unusually long (15-minute) wait to catch a taxi to return us to our apt.

 

CHOOSING A CHILD FREE LIFE



1 comment:

  1. Terry, I do not recall ever seeing an email from the USPS that had a copy righted statement at the end. Check the email address it is from. Lots of scammers do not know how to diguise the true address it was sent from.

    That is the reddist squirle I have ever seen!!!!

    ReplyDelete