Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday, September 27th, 2013



Last night, I went to bed at 10:30, got up twice during the night and was awakened by Lionel’s radio at 6am.

I finally finished my 2.6oz Arm & Hammer Antiperspirant Deodorant I had bought at Walgreen’s for my trip.  Fortunately I found a good replacement in a 50gram Speed Stick Antitranspirante Deodorante at Exito. 

After my coffee and newspaper I walked about 8 blocks south to the bakery that Jhon mentioned he stops at every morning at 8am.  I got there right on time but no Jhon.  While I was waiting I watched the customers to see what they bought and to get an idea as to how much things cost.  There was a street person standing next to the street (really!) and watching the bakery closely.  When the traffic behind him stopped because of a red light he asked for change from the drivers.  At one point when there were few customers he swept into the bakery and grabbed a bottle of Coke that still had about an inch left in it.  He took that back to the street and gulped it down.  A minute later he returned it to the counter and then gulped down a little bit from another bottle that was also sitting there.  (To picture this remember these are open air establishments and there is only about 18 feet from the street to the bakery counter.)

At 8:15 I finally ordered a café con leche and a Bunuelo for less than 2mil.  I could see bread and desserts in the window of the display case but I didn’t know the name of anything else there so that’s why I ordered the Bunuelo.  After I had taken about 2 bites Jhon came in and ordered a Coke and a croissant, although he pronounces it without the “t” sound.  He said they are really good there so now I know what to order next time.  They eat really fast in Colombia which is why he finished his croissant first even though it’s bigger than my Bunuelo.  We walked back to his office together.
I checked the movies opening in the States and there isn’t anything new I want to see.  I checked the movies playing in Medellin:
·       Elysium (IMDB 7.0) is playing at El Tesoro at 7:20pm, Oviedo at 6 and 8:30pm, and Los Molinos at 6:40pm.
·       Haunted House (4.8) is playing at Mayorca at 3pm and Monterrey at 3:30pm.
·       Beatriz wants to see The Conjuring (7.7) and it’s playing at Mayorca at 7:15pm, Monterrey at 7pm and Oviedo at 6:30pm.
·       Multicine Carrefour doesn’t display any movies so I’ll have to remember to check them again later.

After completing some RS lessons I met Jhon and we had lunch at Likkes.  I told him after lunch to tell the waitress that I liked the food very much and to give my compliments to the cook.  Jhon, being Jhon told the waitress that I like the food very much and am interested in the cook.  I guess she came out to see who her admirer is.  He didn’t tell me what he had said until a few minutes after we had left.  Jhon is always trying to fix somebody up.
I had Jhon call the other shipping company to see if they might have my book but they must be closed for lunch.  I told him I’d go to the corner store, have a Coke and read some of my new book and meet him back at his office after 2pm.

Right at 2pm Bob showed up and we chatted for a couple hours then we both went to Jhon office and he called the shipping company again.  They said they had no record of having the book.  I showed Jhon the email from iparcel that mentioned that this was a standard shipment that there would be no tracking on the purchase.  I told Jhon that I’m not going to sit in my apartment for days on end just because they might deliver my book.  I’d rather go to the “post office” every week and inquire as to if they have received my book as yet.  Later I will sign up with some type of delivery service so I don’t have this problem in the future.

Bob needed a sim card for his iPhone so Jhon and I stopped at a small store near Viva mall.  There were 2 young ladies sitting behind a desk and another young lady sitting in one of the chairs on the side.  I sat next to the one on the side while Jhon and Bob sat in the 2 chairs in front of the desk and worked out his purchase of the sim card and added the appropriate number of minutes to it.

The lady next to me was very pretty, light skinned, slim, long reddish brown hair and a little on the tallish side.  More Jhon’s type except possibly she’s taller than he would like.  She put some drops in her eyes and I said “dry eyes” to her in Spanish and she said “yes”.  I said “me too”.  Something didn’t seem right about her and I confirmed with Jhon after we left that “she” is actually a “he”.  She looks like a she but she’s a “he” down below if you catch my drift.  Very interesting!

Beatriz is supposed to come over about 7pm and we’re going to go for ice cream.  I intend to get their fruit salad special and make that my dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment