Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday, September 29th, 2013

Last night, everything went pretty much according to plan.  Beatriz came over about 3:30 and we walked to the store where I buy my t-shirts and she bought a blouse and a cute little turtle ring where all the legs, head, and tail swing free for about 28mil total.  In the meantime I checked out the t-shirts upstairs and found 3 new ones that are thin, my size (medium), and mostly white for 15mil each.

We then stopped at LM and she had a FriSnack and a corn on the cob for about 15mil.  I wasn’t hungry but she fed me a few pieces anyway while I read my Nook book.  She dropped off her purchases at her house and we took a taxi to her cousin and aunt’s apartment complex for 9mil.  About half of the apartment parking area was roped off for music, a dance area, chairs, and booths selling food and a few other wares.  Her cousin and aunt were manning a booth where they were selling breaded chicken strips that they would then fry in oil.  They also had what I think was fried arepa that they sold.  I tried them and liked them both.  We tried a number of food items I had never tasted before and I liked everything.  I asked Beatriz to remember everything we had because I want her to write their names down later.

 

There were a few pretty senoritas and senoras there.  I bought a thin “blanket” for my bed for 12mil that they were selling at the booth next to where we were sitting.  They told me it wasn’t really a blanket I think it’s intended to be more of a body wrap.  It fits almost perfectly on my bed and is just that extra thin layer I need besides the sheet for cool evenings.

It got pretty cool up there high in the hills as the evening wore on.  If I was a little smarter I probably would have worn a long sleeved shirt.  We left about 9:30 and I took my medicine as soon as I got home.

I went to bed at 10:30, got up twice during the night, was awakened by a scraping sound like someone trying to scrape frosting out of a bowl, and finally woke/got up at 8am.

After my coffee and newspaper I returned a pair of shoes Beatriz had left in my apartment and then bought milk at the corner store for my cereal.

This week I think I solved 5 of the crossword puzzle clues in the Gente newspaper:

Dictador de la antigua Roma: NERO

Quito es su capital: ECUADOR

Alta definición de TV: HD

Capone mafioso: AL

El vampiro mas famoso: DRACULA

I took a little nap from about 10:30 to 11:30.  I heard some sounds upstairs like someone moving furniture around.  I wonder if they have a new tenant.  After all it is the first of the month soon.

I left for Sport Wings at 22 minutes to noon and was there in 17 minutes.  They found the FOX station quickly but it was the Minnesota vs Pittsburgh game.  By the time they found the correct game it was 12:10 but the score was still 0-0.  I think next time I’ll leave 30 minutes before game time and that should be enough to catch it from the beginning.

I ordered the cheeseburger with no bacon and “no rojo” meaning “not red”.  It was funny when the water repeated “no carne (beef) rojo (red)” and I said “carne si; rojo no”.  When it came it was cooked perfectly but there is so much mayonnaise on both buns I think next time I’ll order it without.  And when I tried to cut it in half a big slice of cheese came out, uncut, so I think I’ll also skip the cheese next time.

The Chicago Bears ended up losing 40-32 to the Detroit Lions.  L

The burger was 19,500, 3 cokes were 3,500 each, and a milkshake was 8,500 for a total of 41,797 ($22) including tax & tip (9.25%).

On the walk back to my apartment I ran into Bob & Margarita at Redd’s bar so I stayed and talked to them, read my book from my iPad and watched the A/N vs Equidad soccer game that started at 5:30.  It ended in a 0-0 tie.

I left about 8:15 and on the way back to my apartment I ran into Beatriz who was on her way to the corner store to buy something.  I went with her and then she invited me into her house and we talked to her son and daughter and her boyfriend for a while.  She showed me her son’s Communion pictures and her daughter’s Communion and Quincenera pictures.  Communion is at age 9 and Quincenera is at age 15.

She invited me to join them next weekend (Saturday & Sunday) to a finca to celebrate my birthday.  She also gave me the list of things we had to eat last night:

Panzerotti

Solterita

Pinchos de pollo con arepas fritas

Palitos de queso con bocadillo

Salpicon con helado

I’ll Google these later to make sure I have the spelling correct and I can match the pictures with what I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment