Sunday, September 15, 2013

Saturday, September 14th, 2013



Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up twice during the night and finally woke/got up at 7am.

It must be Saturday as I hear the man coming down the street on his motor scooter, yelling something, carrying newspapers.  He doesn’t slow down at all so if someone wanted one, they never would be able to get outside in time to stop him, which just proves the adage “news travels fast”.  My apologies I just couldn’t help myself.

Breakfast was at the hotel.  Since I’m having a small breakfast on Sunday prior to the Bears games I decided to have breakfast at the hotel on Saturdays.  While there, a man introduced himself as Noel and his friend as Herbert from the chain of Dutch islands which includes Aruba, Saint Martin and Curacao.  He mentioned the Dutch dissolved the Netherlands Antilles and there is now a good relationship with Colombia and their health care system.  He confirmed many people staying at the hotel are here for medical reasons and they love the hotel because they are treated like family.
Back home I checked the new US movie releases and there isn’t anything I’m interested in.  But We’re the Millers, a comedy starring Jennifer Aniston, which originally opened in the States on August 9th, is playing at 7:30pm at El Tesoro & Majorca.  It is playing in the afternoon at a couple of other theaters that I will try to remember to check on next week.
I took a nap from 9:45 to 11:15.

Lunch was a small hotdog and Pepsi at Dogger’s for 7,400 ($3.90). 
I met Bob at the corner store at 2pm and we went looking for another place to watch American football.  First we walked a block east and north of Laureles Mall and found the health club – El Molino which has varying hours but is always open from at least 9am-2pm, including holidays.  We continued east to Parque Laureles #2 where we found, among others, the Cuban restaurant - I think it was named Havana.  The guy working there told us all they get, unfortunately, are soccer games.  In the few blocks between there and Nutibara we checked a number of places.  We thought Archie’s might be a good place to try for Italian food as they had a menu on the wall in English and Tacuate for Mexican food on Transversal 39 #76-52.  We didn’t have any luck until we stopped in Sport Wings on Nutibara where they had many screens and tables.  We asked if we can see American Football games and were told “yes”.  We confirmed it with a customer there who spoke English.  I asked for a business card but they said they didn’t have any but gave me something called “The Sport Wings Times” which included their telephone number – 444 0717, and address – Laureles Av. Nutibara x Av. Jardin.  Bob and I agreed we would come here first tomorrow to see if we can get our games – Bears for me and Falcons for him.  If that doesn’t work then we could catch a taxi for Patrick’s in Parque Lleras.

I was back at the apartment by 3pm and Beatriz showed up at 3:15.  I gave her another of my jokes – “what women want in a man…”  See the separate posting.

I gave her a present of a box of Rafaelo (sp?) Italian candies for Valentine’s Day and she informed me it isn’t until next Saturday.  Thanks Jhon!  I told her we’re going to celebrate it today anyway.  I confirmed that somebody is going to come to my apartment on Tuesday to clean it.  She told me her name is Olga.  I asked Beatriz if she wanted to go to watch the Bears game with me tomorrow and she told me she couldn’t because she had manicure and pedicure appointments.

I told her later we would go to dinner at a restaurant I know and afterwards we will walk around the area and maybe stop and have a drink and listen to some music.  She said she had a manicure appointment at 5pm but she would be ready to leave for dinner at 7pm.

I told her there is a new movie in town I want to see called “We’re the Millers” with Jennifer Aniston playing at El Tesoro & Majorca.  It is playing at 2:30 in the afternoon at a couple of other theaters.   On Monday I will check to see if they are playing at any different time.  In any case, we agreed to see it on Wednesday at El Tesoro or another closer location.  I told her if I wasn’t at her office when she got out of work at 6pm to come to my apartment and we would leave from there.

Just before 5pm I walked her to her house and for the first time she invited me in.  I understood her mother wasn’t home so maybe that’s why I got the invitation.  It’s amazing how big the house is considering how narrow it appears from outside.  Her daughter, Maria, who speaks English was there.  I also saw her 2 cats, 1 dog, and a cockatoo.  Beatriz told me she can’t leave Maria alone so I guess she’s going to dinner with us.

I left and headed to the corner bar to see if I could find Bob.  The Atletico Nacional (A/N) vs. Medellin soccer game started at 5:30.  Bob showed up a few minutes later.  It turns out Margarita isn’t going to Sunday’s game either so it will just be Bob and I.  At halftime, A/N was up 2-0 over Medellin.  At 6:40 I headed back to my apartment, changed into some nice clothes, and headed to Beatriz’ house where I found not just her and her daughter, but also her daughter’s boyfriend Alejandro.  So what I thought would just be dinner with Beatriz and I was turning into a family affair.   

We walked down to Avenida 80 and caught a taxi (less than 5mil) to Mondongos; a restaurant Reina took me to in June of 2012.  It’s an open air restaurant on the 2nd floor at Carrera 70, #C3-43 in Laureles (411 34 34).  I had the grilled steak which also included tomato slices, small potatoes, and plantain for 23.5mil, Beatriz had fish for 27.5mil and “the kids” ordered the equivalent of a “happy meal” which included thick chicken strips, french fries, and a toy for 16.5 each.  Maria played with the light up ball for the rest of the night.  I’m guessing they ordered those because it was the least expensive item on the menu.  I had a set of jokes with me and Maria translated for Beatriz.  Beatriz and I shared a Tiramisu for dessert.  I was very surprised to find a few coffee beans at the bottom of the cup.  What’s that about?  Maria and Alejandro shared a cup of “tres leches” 3 milks.  With drinks and tip, the total for the 4 of us came to 112,200 ($59).
We walked down the street a few blocks and caught a taxi back to their house for less than 4mil.

I think it was now about 9:30 and they invited me in to have popcorn and watch a horror movie with them.  Alejandro went out and came back with a 2 liter bottle of Coke while Beatriz cleaned the cat box and Maria made popcorn.  By the time they started the movie it was after 10pm.   The popcorn initially had too much butter and too much salt while later it had none so obviously Maria didn’t do a very good job of mixing it.  The movie was interesting about a couple with a newborn that move into a new house and become sleep deprived because the baby keeps them up during the night and construction next door keeps them awake during the day.  And, of course, there’s the crazy lady they catch glimpses of who keeps moving the baby around, etc.

I left just before midnight, went to my apartment, brushed and flossed my teeth, took my medicine (yeah, I had forgotten again) and headed right to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment