Monday, September 30, 2013

Monday, September 30th, 2013

I went to bed at 11:40, got up twice during the night and finally woke/got up at 7:45.  Maybe I need to start taking my medicine right after dinner again.

After my usual Monday morning routine I saw Jhon at his office and gave him his “word of the day” – “acronym”, because for the next few days the words are going to be “Snafu” and “Fubar”.  I also asked him to repeat his pronunciation of croissant – it sounds like “coissan” to me.  On my way to the bakery I saw David on his balcony across and down the street a few buildings from the corner store.  I tried to pretend I didn’t see him but he called down a “hello” so I said “hello” and kept going.  (I really don’t like the guy and the next time I see him face to face I’m probably going to tell him that.)

At the bakery I told the young lady there I don’t speak much Spanish and I ordered a café con leche, easy on the leche.  She asked me something else but I just told her I don’t understand.  She showed me what she had mixed and it looked pretty good.  I asked her for a “coissan” and it was still hot from the oven and the total came to 2mil.  Wow, a cup of coffee and a hot croissant for $1, pretty good deal.  And it tasted real good also as it had a little tasty cheese inside.

When I got back to Jhon’s office we sat and talked for a while.  I caught him up on what I had been up to for the weekend.  Finally the sun was high enough we couldn’t escape it and we were both feeling warm so we said our goodbyes.

I checked my USAA account and 2 of my small pension deposits have already been made.

I finally passed the Writing portion for Unit 3, Lesson 2.  It took me 5 tries over 3 days with scores of 39%, 50%, 67%, 44%, & finally 89%.

At 11:15 I heard some sort of commotion outside.  I went out on the balcony and people were running toward the close end of the street including 3 of those men in blue uniforms that sell motorcycles down the street.  I changed from my flip flops into my sandals, grabbed my keys and headed outside.  I thought there might have been some kind of accident and who knows if they know how to do basic first aid & CPR here.  At the end of the block I didn’t see anything so I walked another block north and about 1/3 the way down that block I saw one of the Simon Bolivar buses stopped in the middle of the street.  (I’m not aware they are ever on that street, they usually turn a block further north.)  As I got closer I saw a crowd of about a dozen men standing around another man sitting on the grass on the side of the street.  Some of the men standing around, and apparently the bus driver, were yelling at him.  He finally tried to stand up and another man about 5’8” and about 200 pounds gave him a couple of good kicks in the side and he sat back down and started crying.  I noticed a couple of small pipes, maybe just aluminum, on the ground next to me and I noticed one of the men holding a similar pipe but I didn’t see any blood on it and I didn’t see him use it.  At that point 2 policemen arrived on a motorcycle and went through a small bag the man had and all I saw them remove was a long sleeved shirt.  They took out his wallet and read a letter that was inside.  My best guess is they caught another thief.

I met Jhon on my way to lunch but he didn’t know anything about the commotion on the next street.  He decided to join me so we went to Likkes for lunch.  It was just as good, and inexpensive, as always.  I asked them to bring me 2 lunches tomorrow at noon – one for me, one for the housekeeper.

I made a little withdrawal from my checking account and bought a new bag of popcorn for 3,110 ($1.64) and a bottle of SPF50 spray for 36,350 ($19.13) at Exito.

I stopped at the corner store and had an iced tea but Bob never showed up.  Just before 4pm I saw a lot of people parking in the area and walking up towards the church dressed in black; probably a funeral.  During the time I was there it misted a little and got noticeably cooler. 

Dinner was the 15cm (6”) sub of the day – Italiano B.M.T. – at Subway for 7mil.  Then Jhon and I went to the store across the street from the corner store and had a Tinto and then an Aromatica, which is what they call their tea.
 
I took my medicine 1 hour after I finished my dinner.

Before I left for dinner I logged onto USTVNOW and I have great hopes I will be able to see Hostages at 9pm tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment