Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Monday, April 6th, 2015



Slept well, finally getting up at 8am.

We left the finca at 9:50 and the doberman found us right away.  He barked a lot and followed us most the way up the hill.  At the top Don Carlos’ dog and a chihuahua I’ve never seen before were waiting for us.  The large one seemed to be expecting a dog biscuit so I gave him one. 

On our way down the hill we found a large bag that Teresa wanted to keep for garbage so she hid it in bushes on the side of the road.  She asked me to remember that its there when we come back.

We quickly caught an express bus to Envigado followed by a taxi ride downtown.  At Nohelia I got a haircut for 15mil and Teresa got a haircut, manicure and pedicure for 47mil.  I noticed their hours are Monday thru Saturday 8:30am to 9pm, Sundays and holidays 9am to 8pm so I guess they never close.  While I was waiting for her to finish I observed a policeman pull over several taxis and apparently give them tickets.  We got a call from the doctor’s office and I understand Teresa’s appointment has been changed from 3pm to 3:30 or 4pm.  90 minutes later we walked next door to Exito where we had lunch for 22mil.  

We walked over to Bancolombia where we found a long line.  I noticed a separate line which I was pretty sure was for people like me (old).  I checked a sign they had next to the teller and one of the 3 on their list were “people older than 65”.  I got in that line and Teresa stayed in the long line.  I asked her why but I couldn’t get her to join me in my line.  I took her by the hand and led her over to the sign but she still insisted on staying in the long line.  About 15 minutes later I made my monthly 110mil medical insurance deposit to Natalia.  I asked the teller if she had another one of the forms I had been using and I understood the only information on it that’s important is Natalia’s account number (along with my Cedula number).  She did finally get out of the long line.  At their ATM machine I withdrew 600mil twice and repaid Teresa for everything she’s paid for thus far. 
We went back to Exito and I paid the electric bill of 93,529.

We went to $efecty where we paid the Une bill of 62,900 and the Direct TV bill of 89,900.

We took a bus to MBE in El Poblado and I paid 30mil for (towards?) April’s rent.  I also received two envelopes without having to pay anything extra (thus far?).  The first was a Confirmation of Activity Related to Your Pension Payment from Sears but it wasn’t clear what the change was.  I believe (I hope) it is about my request not to receive monthly deposit receipts.

The other letter was also from Sears - a US form 1042-S Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding which should cover the missing amount from the other two 1099Rs that I received earlier.

We walked over to Torre Intermedica to the Vascular Surgeon’s office.  We were there at 3:15 and we were finally called into his office at 4:05.  He allowed me to observe the procedure where he injected foam into veins in Teresa’s legs.  It wasn’t painful (then) and we were out in about 20 minutes.  The payment was 140mil and we have to come back for a follow up (no charge) Wednesday, May 6th at 3:30.  The doctor thinks we will probably have to come back in June for a final treatment.

Teresa led me down to the 9th floor where she made an appointment for this Wednesday at 3:20 with a gastroenterologist.  She has been having stomach pains and didn’t want to wait to go through the slow process of Nueva eps appointments.

As we left the building Teresa said she was hungry so we stopped at Il Cappucino where she had a meat pastry and I had a muffin and we both had a cup of coffee.

On our way down the hill to the bus stop Teresa ran into someone she knew named Clara.  Afterwards she told me she was Wilson’s ex girlfriend.  She gave Teresa her telephone numbers.  When we parted we walked across the street and uphill and Clara walked uphill and across the street so we all ended up at the same bus stop.  The ladies quickly decided to share a taxi to Envigado.  She got out at Parque Envigado and paid the 7mil fare.  The driver reset the meter, took us to Exito and we paid the 4,600 minimum fare.

I finally paid the 800mil bill for the exercise machine Wilson bought last month.  I don’t like carrying a lot of money around with me all day but I think earlier Teresa was in a hurry to get to the hair salon.

I finally bought my toaster – a Black & Decker model #T2030 with instructions in both English and Spanish.  There was actually a Black & Decker representative working there today.  Just for grins I asked where I could buy bagels and she pointed us in the direction of the bread section but of course they don’t have bagels but Teresa picked up a package of mini croissants.

We took a taxi to the highway and almost immediately were on a Fredonia bus.  We would have been at the sideroad to the finca by 7pm but unfortunately, the bus turned down a sideroad to Caldas.  We waited 10 minutes at their bus stop before finally continuing on.  

As we were walking up the sideroad I asked Teresa about her bag but she didn’t know what I was talking about.  I used the little flashlight on my cell phone to scan the plants on the side of the road and finally we saw the bag.
As we were walking up the hill Teresa started feeling the pain so we took our time, got past the killer dogs undetected and were back at the finca by 7:30.

I gave Laura 110mil, 100mil for this month’s payment for the elliptical exercise machine and 10mil to pay for the purchase of a loaf of bread after school tomorrow.

At 8pm I logged into USTVNOW and was very surprised I could get the NCAA Championship basketball game.  Duke beat Wisconsin 68-63.

At 11pm I took my sleeping pills and we went to bed.

T-shirt of the day: Shopping is my cardio.

No comments:

Post a Comment