Monday, January 30, 2017

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Last night I took my 2mg sleeping pill and went to bed at 11pm.  Still awake at 12:30 I got up and read my Nook until 1am.  Back in bed I quickly fell asleep.  I got up several times during the night but still felt pretty good when I got up at 9am.

I left the apt at 10:30 to rent a bicycle in the park.  When I got there I found the tent with the bicycles closed.  (Isn’t this exactly the day when they should be open?)  I walked a block away and just east of Exito found the street (Carrera 43?) closed to auto traffic; lots of people were out walking, jogging, skating, and biking.  I’m going to have to check on how much it would cost to buy a bicycle, helmet and lock.  I think I could store it in the garage.

I stopped at a drug store where I added 20mil to our cell phone.

Laura got up about 11:15 and I told her not to eat too much for breakfast because we’re going to Mercado del Rio.  She got real excited; I understand it’s a place she’s wanted to try.
Teresa asked me if it would be okay to invite her mother along.  I said fine but then she never answered any of Teresa’s calls.

We left the apt at 1:15 and at a busier road we quickly caught a taxi to Mercado del Rio.  It was pretty busy inside but not outrageously so.  I had told Teresa that the last time we were here I had arguably the best ribs in Medellin.  (Mu is pretty good too but of a different style.)  I thought we would be splitting up in order to get whatever we wanted but Teresa had me take her to the rib place – Piara.
We each ordered pretty much the same thing - a plate comes with 5 ribs, cole slaw, and rustic fries.  They didn’t have Pepsi so I had a Colombiana, Laura the same, and Teresa had a beer.  The total came to 88,500 (about $31).  The ribs were very meaty in a nice sauce and they seemed like they were hickory smoked.  Their coleslaw is good but too wet.  The fries were very tasty.

After we all finished stuffing ourselves we took a look around the food market.  I told Teresa that I thought there were more restaurants upstairs so we headed up.  Upstairs they have a Parmessano, an El Rancherito and one named Sinko.  What looked like the next restaurant was actually a bar named “5”.  That’s when I figured out that Sinko was a play on words as “cinco” is “5” in Spanish.  There was an area about 15’ x 100’ that had a lot of bean bag chairs so we claimed a spot.

I went downstairs and bought an almond crescent to go at Al Alma Café for 6,200 pesos.

We rested in the bean bag chairs for almost 2 hours.  At one point I said it was too warm (heat rises) so Teresa sent me down for ice cream.  I couldn’t find any ice cream but I did find yogurt.  Teresa specifically asked for vanilla lite so it just got her a small yogurt with nothing on it.  For myself I got a medium with chopped peanuts and strawberries.  The total came to 10,600 (about $3.50).
Just before 5pm we took a taxi back to the apt.

I watched some of the Pro Bowl on my Slingbox.


T-shirt of the day: Hold fast the last of the true.

No comments:

Post a Comment