Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

I slept pretty well last night.

Today started out as another overcast day but it soon cleared up.
I watched the most important news on the Today show and then we left the apt at 10:30.  We had to walk to a busier street where we soon caught a taxi to the Immigration office.  We walked in, Teresa had a quick conversation at the front desk, we walked to the back of the office where I presented my passport, signed my name to a large log book and the man gave me my new Cedula.

As soon as we walked outside we ran into a couple needing our assistance.  He was from England and his wife was Colombian.  He was looking for some help on renewing his 3-year spousal visa.  I told him if he doesn’t want to go to Bogota he could use the same service we just used.  We walked them to Martha’s Inter-Col office and introduced them to the young lady working there.  I gave him one of my “business” cards and we said goodbye and good luck.

We walked down to Avenida 80 where we quickly caught a taxi to the Ragged outlet store.  Teresa spent about an hour there looking at and trying on clothes but in the end didn’t buy anything.

We caught another taxi to take us to the Flip Flop Sandwich Shop.  I wasn’t sure if it would be open since it wasn’t last Saturday but we got lucky.  Right away there was something about the place that Teresa didn’t like and she didn’t order anything.  I had the Sloppy Joe again and Teresa tried it but wasn’t impressed.  But she did say she could make it for me back at the apt.  I asked Paula what days they are open and she told me they are closed on Mondays and Saturdays.  I also picked up a little tourist map that she gives out for free.

We walked down to Frisby where Teresa ordered a Frischuleta and mango juice, I paid for it and then I walked down to MBE where I picked up my package.  It cost me an extra 18,000 pesos and seemed a little bigger than I thought it would be.

Back at Frisby I waited for Teresa to finish her food and then we quickly caught a taxi back to the apt.

I removed the mailing envelope from my package, followed by a styrofoam that made it look like a block of cocaine.  (Not that I would know what a block of cocaine looks like.)  Tightly stuffed inside was a cardboard box followed by the chess set wrapped in plastic.  Wow, they sure did a good job of wrapping and protecting it.  According to the return address it came all the way from India.  Once I got past all the wrapping the chess set was of a good size allaying my fears that it was going to be too large.  It’s pretty cool and the right size to use when studying.  Here are some photos.  Notice the packaging in the background.

Very well packaged.

Felt inserts for each piece.

Pieces appropriate for the board size - magnetic.

Size as compared to my hand.

Pieces are easy to pick up and move.


Mrs. T (MT) came over about 5:30.  At 6pm it started raining but stopped 5 minutes later.  The temperature dropped noticeably however.  At 6:30 the ladies made a trip to Exito for some needed food items.

I still don’t know what happened with the umbrella I ordered a month ago so I sent them an angry email with 4-letter words.  That’s not something I often do but I’m tired of not hearing from them.

But I’m happy that today I got a couple things off my to-do list for the week.


T-shirt of the day: Coffee addict.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Terry,

    Just curious here, but why the huge fascination in Colombia with chess? It's not that way in Costa Rica so far as I can tell and I never noticed it in Guatemala, either.

    I did notice that dominoes was very popular both in Jamaica and in Belize when I visited those countries, but never saw any evidence of chess there either of those two places.

    Does this apparently huge fondness for chess in Colombia (or at least in Medellín) have anything in particular which would explain it? I've been meaning to ask you about this for a while now, but got to thinking that maybe it was just my imagination.

    Comments? Observations?

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interest in chess is something i brought with me. In my early working days i started a chess club, played in a chess league and even in a few USCF matches. If chess is something you had no interest in i'm sure you wouldn't even notice it being played here (other than in a few parks).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for the clarification, Terry.

    Your reply makes complete sense to me cuz with the descriptions you had made in some of your posts from earlier I had been getting the idea that chess was rather rampant in Medellín.

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete