Saturday, August 26, 2017

Friday, August 25, 2017

Last night I took 2 sleeping pills and went to bed at 11pm.  I fell asleep quickly, only got up once during the night (about 5:30am), fell back asleep quickly, finally waking/getting up at 8am.  Yay!

I watched the first 45 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym.  While I was working on the Lat Pulldown machine an old man came up to me and asked me if I lost some keys.  I told him I didn’t think so as they should be in my locker.  (But I recalled feeling when I put my stuff in the locker that something seemed to be missing.)  After I finished with that machine I checked my locker and my keys weren’t there.  I stopped at the front desk where I saw them sitting on the counter.  I pointed to them and to myself.  The young lady got a book and showed me where to sign and I soon had them back.  I did all my exercises except the Leg Press and the Abdominal machine, including my usual time on the treadmill, in 2 hours.

Among new US movie releases I might want to see the rerelease of Terminator 2: Judgment Day (8.5).

Locally, War for the Planet of the Apes (7.9) is playing at Oviedo at 6:35, and Churchill (7.1) is playing at Mayorca at 4:40pm.

I met Chuck at El Pastelito at 3pm.  While we were talking an old man came up to us carrying a scale.  You can weigh yourself for 500 pesos.  I gave him 1,000 pesos and I weighed in at 73 kilos or 161 pounds.  That’s down from 80 kilos or 176 pounds 5 months ago.  Not sure how accurate that is – I guess it’s almost time for another weigh in at the gym.

What I learned talking to Chuck:  He recommended learning Spanish using Spanish with Paul.  He also recommended Narcos on Netflix.  I told him Teresa wasn’t interested in any more Pablo Escobar but I could try to get her to watch the first episode and then she might get hooked.  He also recommended I take melatonin and magnesium for my sleep problems.  I’ll see if they have that at Fedco and if not I’ll order it from GNC.

We left the bakery and walked over to the park.  They had a lot of arts & crafts and food booths set up and 2 music stages.  They were already playing music and there were a lot of people in attendance.  Chuck said there are a lot of booths set up by city hall and on the next street over.  We walked over there and there were a lot of tables and chairs set up (even fancy barrel chairs and couches) but no people using them as yet.

We people watched for a few minutes and then I asked Chuck if there was a bakery nearby his house we could stop at.  There was one across the street so we stopped and he had his usual tinto (straight coffee) with 2 bunuelos and I had my usual café con leche with 1 bunuelo.  About 20 minutes later I looked up and saw a t-shirt that said New Orleans.  I was about to tell Chuck when I noticed that it was his wife Darnelle.  She sat with us for awhile and then we left and walked to the park.  A pretty young lady in a nice red dress but “dirty” bare feet approached us.  After talking to Darnell in Spanish for a minute she held up a sign and about all I understood was “street person” and “change”.  I didn’t have any change so I handed her a 2,000 note.  Chuck explained that this was exactly the wrong thing to do because she was explaining that we shouldn’t give money to street people because there’s an agency they can go to for help.  (It turned out that the “dirty” feet were painted on.)

I said goodbye to Chuck and Darnell and walked to Exito where I picked up a few things Teresa said we needed.

I understand if the weather is warm tomorrow we’re going to Santafe de Antioquia so Teresa can work on her tan.

About 7pm Laura and I were watching a movie when Teresa suggested we go to Gourmet Pizza.  We wanted to finish the movie first – besides traffic outside was still pretty heavy.  By the time the movie ended at 8pm traffic had dissipated.  We walked outside and immediately flagged down a taxi.

The restaurant was pretty busy but we got 3 seats near each other.  I pointed out to Teresa the pizza I wanted on the menu but 10 minutes later they brought me something else with chicken on it.  Apparently Teresa goofed up my order.

In time we all got the pizza we wanted – me with a black Te Hatsu which is black tea and lemonade.  The total for 2 slices of pizza and a drink for each of us came to 65,000 pesos or $22.


T-shirt of the day: You inspire my inner serial killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment