Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Monday, August 7, 2017

Last night I took my sleeping pills and drops and went to bed at 11pm.  I fell asleep quickly and woke up at 6:30 and got up at 6:45.

It’s obvious we got some rain overnight although I never heard it.  It’s still very overcast which probably means I’ll be wearing jeans today.  That will be a game time call.

It’s the last day of the chess tournament – I hope I can get at least one more win.

I left the apt at 7:30 (in my jeans), walked to the Metro station, caught the metro to San Antonio, transferred to Estadio station and arrived at the chess club at 8:30.  I had a few minutes to kill so I had a café con leche.  My next opponent was Mariana Ramirez (player #162) on board 70.  I had the Black pieces and I played the Sicilian Defense.  She had the advantage by her 20th move and then she got defensive and consolidated her pieces in order to strangle me.  I managed to maneuver my queen from the queenside to the kingside and then I deflected her queen with my bishop allowing me to get her rook and the attack.  She resigned on her 39th move.

I confirmed the next match is at 2pm and it was only 11am.  I observed a few other games and then left at 11:20.  I walked up to Avenida 80 and stopped for 5 minutes in a Tienda D1 just to enjoy their air conditioning.  I arrived at Pizza Americana at noon.  A couple guys who worked there 3 years ago recognized me.  I ordered my usual – an individual Napolitana.  I also ordered a 1.5 liter bottle of Pepsi for a total of 18,000 pesos ($6).  I ate all 4 slices (piggy) and drank half the bottle of Pepsi.  I took the rest of the Pepsi and soon was in a taxi back to the chess club.

I found my next match (board 46) and put the bottle of Pepsi under the table.  My 9th (and last) round opponent was Yedixon Villarraga (player #60).  At 2pm I made my move and started the clock. Thirty minutes later he still hadn’t shown up and I (along with several others) got in line with my clock to claim the forfeit win.  I gave the remainder of my Pepsi to the Tournament Director.  So, I finished with 4 wins, 4 losses and a forfeit win.

I retraced my steps to Envigado and arrived at the apt by 3:15.
Teresa and Laura left at 5pm to shop at the La Vaquita grocery store in Envigado.

I finished the bottle of Jif crunchy peanut butter.

Teresa and Laura returned at 6:30 with lots of bags of food.

I entered the first 2 of my games into Shredder and had it do a full analysis of them.

I was so tired I went to bed at 8pm.


T-shirt of the day: I’d be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment