Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Last night I took my sleeping pills and drops and went to bed at 11pm.  I fell asleep rather quickly and finally woke up at 6am and got up at 7am.

I left the apt at 8:30, walked to the metro, and arrived at the Stadium station by 9:10.  I walked to El Viejo y El Pancake where I had coffee before heading to the chess club.

My 6th round opponent on Board 81 was Juan Felipe Castaneda who also happened to be ranked #81.  What was interesting was I had the Black pieces and he played the Smith Morra Gambit against me.  I resigned on the 26th move so I was done by 11pm.  After the game I think he recommended I should have pushed my passed center pawns supported by my King.

I walked to the internet cafes I had used the past few days and wasn’t surprised when I found both of them closed.  I stopped at El Viejo y El Pancake where I had an omelet with sausage and orange juice.  I wasn’t in any hurry to leave so I also had a Mr. Tea for a total of 13,500 (about $3.50).

I walked to Exito on San Juan and went up to their cafeteria but it wasn’t at all impressive.

Across the street were dozens of motorcycles amassed and they all left exactly at 1pm.  I’m guessing there is a motorcycle parade as part of the flower festival.

I walked across the street and had a bottle of water while I studied my chess openings for the White pieces.  At 3pm I had a Rollo Suizo (Swiss pastry?) and a café con leche for 3,000 pesos ($1).

Back at the chess club I saw my next opponent on board #81 was Camila Fonseca Becerra ranked number 174, but it had a WCM next to her name which means – Women’s Candidate Master.
She wasn’t very strong, I played the Smith Morra Gambit against her and I mated her on the 24th move.

She seemed to have some vision problems and after our match I saw her talking to the wife of the blind man so maybe she’s their daughter.

I walked to the metro and was back at the apt by 6:15 but nobody was there probably because they went to Mayorista to buy food.
Still no internet.  Its been about a week so far I think.

Teresa and Laura returned at 7:30.  They came from some park where they visited with Vicky and her family.  Teresa asked me what I want to eat for dinner and I told her “just a bagel”.  She toasted it and when she presented it to me I told her “this isn’t a bagel, it’s a hamburger bun”.  So she made me a burger; it’s actually better with a toasted bun.


T-shirt of the day: I’m just a radioactive spider bite away from greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment