Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Friday, August 4, 2017

Last night I took my sleeping pills and drops and went to bed at 11pm.  I fell asleep rather quickly, woke up briefly twice but didn’t get up all night.  I finally woke up at 6:15 and got up at 7:15.

It’s raining lightly and is very overcast which complicates my travels today – do I take an umbrella (I’d better) or sunglasses (I’d better)?  I was expecting to wear shorts today but it looks like I’m going to try to get through the day in jeans.

I left the apt at 8:30 and traffic was again heavy mainly on Calle 50 heading towards the Stadium.  I saw a bus with a large Chicago Bulls logo painted on the side; I wonder what that was about.  I saw a street performer spin a ball, put it on top of an umbrella, put that umbrella on top of another umbrella, and balanced it on his forehead at the same time as he was juggling 3 balls.  Incredible!  I arrived at the Stadium for 17,500 pesos 30 minutes before the 10am start time. 

A 10-year old boy came up to me at one point and spoke to me in English (I think with the encouragement of his mother sitting nearby).  He lived for 7 years in Carbondale, Illinois. We got the matches started at 10:15.  I had Black on board 73 against Juan Alzate.  I gave him a good game but I resigned on the 38th move. 

I walked to El Viejo y El Pancake
It's the restaurant under the left half of the blue awning.

where I ordered 3 eggs (1 too many) over easy, hash browns, country sausage and a Mr. Tea because they were out of orange juice.  I met a gringo named Robert from northeast Texas – yes, complete with cowboy hat.  We had a good conversation while I was waiting for my food and while I was eating.  His wife is from Barranquilla, Colombia.  I gave him my “business card” and asked him to call or email me if he wants to meet sometime for lunch.

I walked to the other side of the stadium to Obelisco mall where I found Bi-Pro for 80mil at a store called FDC.  I continued in the same direction to The Town barber shop where I got a haircut for 10,000 pesos.

Walking back towards the Stadium from blocks away I could hear a woman beautifully singing “I can see clearly now”.  It was coming from inside the Stadium so I thought maybe there will be a concert here tonight or this weekend.  I walked past the Stadium and few blocks in the other direction to an internet café.  I asked the owner how much it cost for an hour using the computer and he said 2,000 pesos.  I spent the next 2 hours (4,000 pesos or $1.35) reading emails.  Chuck is coming back in a few weeks.

  I left at 5:30 and was back at the chess club by 6pm for my 6:30 match.  I had an empanada and a café con leche.  Later I ate a small package of peanuts.  My next match was with White against a young Medina Ramos.  This time I won fairly easily.  At the next table was a 7 year old boy who says he has been playing for 2 years.  I wished I had started that young; I wish I had been able to keep playing through the years.  I might actually be good now.
I walked to the corner and quickly caught a taxi which took me to my door for 17,500 pesos.

Teresa informed me that Une didn’t show up.


T-shirt of the day: Never mistake my silence for weakness.  No one plans a murder out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment