Friday, July 19, 2024

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up once at 1am, again at 5am, finally waking/getting up at 7:15. I went to use the toilet but it didn’t flush, I removed the tank top and the reason was obvious, we have no running water. I should have checked that first.

I left the apt at 8:15 and found the area outside Los Porteños cordoned off by yellow caution tape and workers appeared to be cutting down a tree.

I had a café con leche (price went up from 4,500 to 5,500 pesos) in Parva while waiting for Marcos. He arrived by 9:15 and we talked politics, football and the recent ban on plastic bags. We both agreed we’ll probably have to buy them in Dollar City for our garbage; either that or garbage disposal sales will be going up. Teresa called and asked me to stop in Ara or Tienda D1 and buy her a cigarette lighter. Before Marcos left, so he could watch over my stuff, I made a trip to the restroom.

Marcos left and it was a few minutes after that I noticed the stain on my shorts. I remembered a strong smell of Clorox in the restroom and they must have wiped down the side of the sink with it and now some of the dye has came out of my navy-blue shorts.

I talked to the manager and I did see her talk to the workers at the counter but who knows what was said. I left about 10 minutes later and stopped at a tiny grocery store and bought a lighter for Teresa.

Back at the apt Teresa didn’t want me to get rid of the shorts, she said she often sees gringos with stains like that. I recommended, to be more in fashion, that I could add some holes in them. 😉

I left the apt at 2:45 and had a latte and an alfahor (a soft cookie with arequipe inside) in Los Porteños



The tree where I used to leave peanuts for the squirrel is now gone.



Teresa called and asked me to pick up chicken breast and cilantro in Ara on my way back to the apt.

I left at 5pm and returned to the apt after a stop in Ara.

I finished reading Samuel Arbesman’s Half Life of Facts. Interesting but not so interesting that I want everyone to read it.

 

EL ARROYO SIGNS





 

No comments:

Post a Comment