Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Monday, May 7, 2018


I got up twice during the night, woke up at 6am and gave up getting back to sleep and got up at 7:15.

It’s still very overcast as it rained most of the night. 

At the gym I did all but one of my exercises in an hour and 50 minutes.  I met a new English-speaking guy, Fernando, from Venezuela.  Most of the people I’ve met from there have spoken English.  His was near perfect.  The trainer, Jose, introduced him to me and made a joke that he’s gay.  I told him not worry as the only penis I’m interested in is mine.  Lol.

I met Chuck at Bartolos at 12:30.  We had coffee there while trying to figure out where to go for lunch.  He wanted to go to someplace “different”.  He has never been to Frisby but he had a cheaper fried chicken alternative.  I don’t know the name of the place but it was practically across the street from the park.  For 14,000 pesos (about $5) total we got 2 drinks and 4 pieces of chicken.  It was at least as tasty as Frisby although the chicken was room temperature rather than hot.  I learned that “muslo” means leg and all this time I thought it meant thigh.

From there we walked down to the bakery where I treated myself to a churro with my café con leche.

While sitting there we experienced a light rain.  At one point the sun was shining and looking out at the street we could see no rain on one side and a light rain on the other.  Weird!  You could literally walk back and forth in and out of the rain in the space of a mere 3 feet.

Chuck offered a free suitcase to Laura for her Au Pair trip.  Apparently, every time they return to Colombia they bring 2 suitcases each loaded with things like pots and pans.  And then they return with fewer suitcases.  He says he has 8 suitcases in his home now, most of them purchased at yard sales.

Chuck and Darnely return to the US on Sunday.  If all goes well with her citizenship case they could soon be back permanently.
Teresa came back at 7pm and said she has to go back to the finca tomorrow.

I spent most of the night studying a new chess book.

T-shirt of the day: I’m still killin’ it.

3 comments:

  1. Hola Terry,

    FWIW, In all my experience I've never heard the spanish word, 'muslo' used for anything other than 'thigh' but the DRAE says that 'muslo' can sometimes be a leg. Here's a quick rundown for 'pedazos de pollo':

    leg / pierna
    thigh / muslo !
    wing / ala
    breast / pechuga
    tripe / menudos
    gizzard / molleja
    liver / hígado

    BUT: sopa de gallina = chicken soup!

    ¡Saludos!
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is gallina a live chicken as opposed to pollo is chicken on your plate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is gallina a live chicken as opposed to pollo is chicken on your plate?
    == ==

    That's pretty much the case, Terry, except for 'sopa de gallina'; one however does not say 'sopa de pollo'.

    Works kinda like lamb/mutton, veal/beef, or even pig/pork. Each pair has specific uses in english. (An example would be that we don't say 'pig chops'.)

    OK — HTH

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete