Thursday, May 24, 2018

Wednesday, May 23, 2018


I fell asleep quickly last night and didn’t wake up until 4am.  It was still raining lightly and the pitter patter of the raindrops was soothing but not enough for me to fall back asleep so I got up at 5:15.

In the news (TV and newspapers) they’ve been talking about a new hydroelectric dam that’s being built.  Apparently there is a problem with its construction that’s serious enough that they’ve had to evacuate some people from nearby villages.  See ColombiaReports.com for details.

At the gym I completed all of my exercises in an hour and 50 minutes.  Jose told me he’s going to see Solo: A Star Wars Story (6.3) tomorrow.

The following is from an email from the US Embassy in Colombia.
Presidential elections will take place throughout Colombia on Sunday, May 27, 2018.  If needed, a second round will take place on Sunday, June 17, 2018.  There is the potential for demonstrations, traffic disruptions, and visible police presence during the campaigns leading up to the elections.  There will be road closures through Bogota and other major cities on May 27 and June 17 if the second round is held.  Alcohol sales will be restricted and ciclovia may be canceled in some cities. 

Actions to Take:

·        Monitor local media for updates.
·        Avoid demonstrations.
·        Maintain a high level of vigilance, especially in popular public areas.

I took a short nap from 1pm to 1:30 while Teresa was making lunch.

I left the apt at 4:30 for the 5:30 movie.  There was a bus waiting for me downtown.  As usual I sat in a seat right across the aisle from the buzzer to facilitate getting off the bus.  In front of me was a young couple that was intent on making out.  I considered asking them to get a room but they probably wouldn’t understand.  I also thought of taking photos of them with my cellphone but I was a good boy and resisted.  A couple nuns got off the bus by the religious grotto.  The first one got off successfully but the bus started pulling away while the second one was still on the steps but lots of people noticed and shouted to the driver to stop.  Traffic was heavy starting at the Envigado/Medellin border and the trip took 30 minutes.  I got off at Santafe and walked the last block to Oviedo. 
I bought a preferred seating ticket (half price Wednesday) for 7,250 pesos.  I read my Reader’s Digest for 10 minutes and then bought a small popcorn and small soda for 12,600 leaving me with a Cine Colombia card balance of 4,650.

There were dozens of people in the theater taking advantage of the discount.  The movie, 7 Days in Entebbe (5.8), was good but not great.  Again because 2 of the main characters were speaking in German I had to rely on the Spanish subtitles.  I quickly caught a bus back to the apt.

Teresa made 16 thin burgers and I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them into ziploc bags. 

T-shirt of the day: I’m super normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment