Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Happy Independence Day, Americans!

Last night I went to bed at 9:45, got up once during the night, then Teresa woke me with her gentle snoring at 4:45. Changing my position didn’t stifle her so I moved to the guest bedroom finally waking/getting up just before my alarm went off at 6:30am.

At 7am Jose texted me he isn’t feeling well and the weather (overcast with chances of rain) doesn’t inspire him so he’s not going to meet me today for chess.

One of my readers sent me this comparison of the cost of living of various cities on the American continent compared to New York City. Medellin is one of the most affordable.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_rankings.jsp?title=2023-mid&region=019

Dilimar from Greek Cruises got back to me with my reservation. It appears Laura, as a 3rd person in our cabin, will only have to pay $439 instead of the full fare $1,014.

I told Teresa I could have breakfast in Los Porteños this morning so she doesn’t have to cook.

I left the apt about 8:30 and walked to the restaurant where I found Brit having breakfast with another couple; an American guy and Colombian lady. I wished them a Happy Independence Day and the guy asks where I’m from. When I said, “Chicago” he said something disparaging about the city followed by “at least you got rid of Lightfoot”. I said, “nothing like starting your morning with an insult”. A couple minutes later he mumbled something good about Chicago but I wasn’t having it. They left and wished me a good day which I returned. My egg croissant with a large and small latte was 34,307 pesos ($8.25).



I left about 10:30 and on my way back to the apt I came across a young man sitting next to a hole eating his lunch. (There’s been a lot of digging and running of cable in our neighborhood lately.) I looked in the hole and asked if he spoke English. He sheepishly shook his head. I said, “fiber optics?” and he said, “fibra optica”. Yes! They are running fiber optic cable in our neighborhood and if I understand the flyer they dropped off last week I can get 350Mbps fiber optic internet from Movistar for 65,192 pesos ($16) a month. Larger bandwidth, yes! 😊



I left the apt at 2:30 and went down the back stairs. I’ve been doing that for the past month or two. I read something on my news feed about reverse exercising. Apparently, when someone old like me goes down stairs it encompasses balance, strength, the knees releasing, and hitting each stair correctly. Of course, I’m sure to have my right hand ready to grab the railing should I slip. I’ve noticed great improvement since I started doing it. Anyway, back to my story, in the parking lot I found a Movistar tent set up with a man and 2 ladies. I asked if anyone spoke English? Nope. In my broken Spanish I found out that they were there to take installation requests for fiber optic internet. They are going to start installation next Monday. One of the ladies was Paola Betencort that I had already contacted by Whatsapp. I gave them my cedula and address and I’m good to go.

I walked to the mall (still leaking), recycled a few items, picked up my altered pants, and had the Athens map printed in color (no problem).

In Urbania I had a latte with a glass of cold water. I noticed a guy making a pencil drawing of one of the lady security guards.


If you zoom in you can see the drawing he's working on.

I asked him if he had a business card and he gave me his name, Fabio Leon, and Whatsapp number, 323 289 9506. He only charges 90mil ($22) regardless if the drawing is one or two people, or black & white or color.

About 4pm I picked up a few things in Exito and returned to the apt by taxi.

I finished season 5 of The Americans.

 

America’s Decline into Idiocy



 

1 comment:

  1. Hola, Terry. Regarding improving your balance, there are special nerves in the bottom of the foot that help control balance. I had minor balance issues when I got up from sitting and also when I made a sharp turn. I did some research. We need to go barefoot, or at least wear very thin soled shoes. Also there are hard rubber balls with spikes you roll your feet over. I now go barefoot in the house and when I am out in my yard. I don't have balance issues now. The few times I am in a building with stairs I will start walking back downstairs. Thanks for that tip.

    Your blog got me using marigold capsules, no more back issues. I told you about the Glucosamine w/chondroitin for joint pain. Now we have shared balance issue remedies. What a great health blog you have created!!! If we could only come up with a solution to leaking!!!!!!
    Jack Williams
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete