Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday, August 31st, 2014



Last night I tried to teach Teresa how to play Hearts with my new deck of cards.  I fed her the rules in a few phases and in the end I don’t think she cared for the game - maybe because when we stopped I had 12 points and she had 43.  It also isn’t much fun with only 2 players.  

I showed her a couple magic tricks and she didn’t seem very impressed with those either.  I don’t think the fact she had 5 rum & waters and I only had 2 rum & Cokes had anything to do with it.

We went to bed at 11pm and I didn’t wake up until 6:20am.  She got up about 9am.

We each had a bowl of granola for breakfast.

We tried to figure out what to do today and she suggested we go to San Pablo.  I checked Google Earth and saw that its north of Medellin.  She told me it’s cool there so I took a jacket and she took a winter scarf because that’s all she had.  We left the apartment about 10:30 and after waiting about 5 minutes for a bus she apparently had a change of heart because she told me it’s too late to go there.  

Back at the apartment she called someone while I checked Trip Advisor.  I saw that Medellin has a zoo not too far away – between the airport and the highway that runs along the river.  She agreed to go and after a 9mil taxi ride we were there by 11:30.  The entrance to Parque Zoologico Santa Fe (Carrera 52 #20-63) cost 10mil each.  We walked around for a little more than an hour looking at the animals.  Some were the same I would see at a zoo in Chicago – buffaloes, sheep, racoons, hippos, and bears, but others were more exotic that I had never seen before.

About 1pm we stopped at a small restaurant and she ordered Sancocho for both of us for 11mil each.  Sancocho is a bowl of “soup” with broth, a small ear of corn, potatoes, and a chicken leg.  Also included in the order was a plate of rice with a slice of banana and a slice of avocado and a cup of juice.

Afterwards, we walked around a little while longer, Teresa talked to someone she apparently new and we left about 2pm.  On the taxi ride back to the apartment, she suddenly had the taxi stop and she got out right across the street from her friend Ana’s house.  I continued onto my apartment.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to see her again today or not. 

About 4:30 I got hungry and warmed up 2 helpings of Chinese food leftover from yesterday.  Luckily I didn’t throw away the remainder because at 5:50 Teresa showed up.  She was hungry so I warmed up the rest of the Chinese food and then gave her a scoop of the strawberry ice cream.  

About 7pm I walked her down to the bus stop where she quickly got a ride with a private driver (“con effectivo”, which means “with cash”).

Laura’s birthday is this Thursday so the plan is I will meet them on Saturday at Mayorca CC about 1 or 1:30 and then we will buy Laura the tennis shoes she wants, treat her to The Expendables 3 at Oviedo followed by dinner at Mu’s in Parque Lleras.

T-shirt of the day: Only for you.

1 comment:

  1. greetings - I am American and Husband from - Cali Colombia- - Just starting reading your blog yesterday - We have purchased an apt. in Cali for retirement also. ( within 5 years) I go every year for a month - I love Colombia as we are surrounded by my husbands family ( who are hard workers). As I read your post to my husband he is concerned with the selection of women friends you seem to attract ( they seem to be looking for $$) - his advise - go to a church - any type there and you maybe able to establish roots -- extended family ) who can guide you with their heart not your $$- 500 for a crown is crazy- local dentist for Colombian s- about 200 .. We want you to enjoy all Colombia has to offer - the people are great - just beware that you are "rich American " in their eyes. I hope you find that special family that you will call your own in Colombia

    ReplyDelete