Monday, August 25, 2014

Monday, August 25th, 2014



Last night I finished Sidney Sheldon’s 225 page Tell me Your Dreams and downloaded the 333 page The Lost Island by Preston & Child.  I chose this book next as its #1 on the Wall Street Journal and New York Times Bestseller lists.

I went to bed at midnight, got up once to apply more Caladryl to my insect bites, woke up at 6:30, put on my eye mask, fell quickly back to sleep, and woke/got up at 7:30.

I had my usual breakfast at El Comedor de Chava followed by an orange juice at Redd’s before my Spanish class.

I discussed my insect bite situation with Jhon.  I learned that what we call “mosquito” they call “zancudo” and what they call “mosquito” is actually a small fly that bites.  He said I probably smelled so different to them that they were more attracted to me than anyone else and in time I would take on more of the “farm” smell and be less bothered by them.  In the meantime he recommended I wear insect repellant.

Right after class I exchanged some things at the apartment and headed to the bus stop.  I got to the Oviedo Cine right at 1pm for Last Love (6.8) starring Michael Caine.  I had my usual small popcorn and large Pepsi for 12,100 after paying 5mil for my ticket.  It was a good movie.  Afterwards I saw that upcoming movies include Chef, Brick Mansions, Lucy, and Maze Runner.

I stopped in Sports & Hobbies in the mall and they have a lot of games, puzzles, and plastic models, many even in English.  Interestingly, upstairs are backpacks and a complete assortment of fishing supplies (rods, reels, bobbers, hooks, etc.)  I bought 2 decks of “Royal 100% All Plastic Playing Cards” in a nice plastic container for only 12mil.  I know a couple of magic tricks I can show Teresa and Laura and I wonder if I could teach them how to play “hearts” without knowing how to speak Spanish.

I walked down to MBE and paid next month’s rent and picked up July & August Chess Life magazines, my Sears pension receipt for August, and a Chicago picture postcard from my brother.  I’m sure Teresa and Laura will enjoy seeing this beautiful view of north lakeshore drive next to the lake.

I was almost back to the apartment when I ran into Elkin, the man who lives across the street and a few houses down.  He was walking his dog that I call “killer dog” because he always acts aggressive when he sees me; I don’t think he likes gringos.  He told me: he lived in New Jersey, has been here for 16 months, and misses everything about the US.  He and his wife and child want to move back, maybe early next year, and he would like to live in Maryland where he says taxes are very low. 

Tonight I killed the first cockroach I’ve found in my apartment – all the others I’ve killed were downstairs on the first floor of the building.

My jeans are starting to look worn so I think I’d better start thinking about replacements.  I googled “Levi’s in Medellin” and one of the 3 places I found is just south of Santafe mall on Calle 9S but it also indicated it was Local 2210 El Poblado #7Sur-140.  

I had a bowl of granola for dinner.

T-shirt of the day: If it’s not broke, I’ll get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment