Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thursday, August 7th, 2014



Yesterday I reminded Teresa of her dermatology appointment next Monday.  I told her it was on the 11th.  She showed me her appointment card and it says the 14th.  I know I have a bad memory but I’m usually pretty good with numbers – like dates.  Last night I rechecked my card and it says the 11th.  That means instead of the receptionist giving me a copy of her appointment she mistakenly gave me my own appointment.  (I only wanted to make sure Teresa’s appointment was at a time convenient for both of us.)  I need to explain that to Teresa today so she can cancel one or the other.

Last night I went to bed at 11pm, took a few minutes to get to sleep because of the rain, got up once at 5am, woke up at 6:30 but quickly fell back asleep and woke/got up at 7:10.

At 6:56 this morning I received another set of “Groupon” type offers from Cuponatic Medellin.

This morning I had a bowl of cereal.

Now I’m just going to study Spanish a little until Teresa arrives – which should be about 10am.

Teresa called me to tell me she would be late because there is so much traffic.  She finally arrived at 11am.

I showed Teresa my appointment card and explained the situation and she said she would call and cancel one of the appointments but not today because it’s a holiday.

At 1pm we ate at Frisby in Viva CC.  We shared my Frisburrito with ranch dressing, her Frispecial (which I would describe as resembling chicken stroganoff with salad and fries) and a vegetable soup.  I had a large Pepsi and she had a Guanaba with milk.  The total came to 34,600.  While I waited for Teresa to come back from the restroom I saw Harry sitting alone in the corner of the food court.  He told me he is here with his wife and his 2nd wife he only sees once a week.  He took me over to Sarku’s where his wife was about to order and quickly introduced me to her.  I told him that I’m going to be moving in with my girlfriend at the end of September.  He wants the two of us to come see his apartment some weekend.

We took the Circular Sur 302 bus to Aguacatala and there was a big crowd waiting to buy tickets.  I impressed Teresa again by taking out my Metro card which I scanned for both of us and we were quickly through.  The train was very crowded and I don’t know why people who aren’t getting off stand in front of the door so you have to shove them out of the way to get off before the doors close again.

Right away we saw long lines to get in to the Jardin Botanico and we decided we didn’t want to see the birds and flowers that badly.  


 
As I was coming back from taking the pictures another train arrived and I saw an elderly woman get her arm stuck in the door as she was trying to get in.  The train was stopped before it was able to move, the doors opened, and she got on apparently not hurt by the experience.

I told Teresa I knew where we could get some ice cream close by so we went downstairs and I took her to an ice cream shop just outside Parque Explora.  When we got there she decided what she really wanted was water and I told her I knew where some was close by.  (I was going to take her to the misting station at the entrance to one of the parks.)  She decided to get something to drink at Dogger so I got a large Colombiana and she got a small Colombiana and a beer which she proceeded to mix together.  It wasn’t the first time I’ve seen that combination here.
All of the tables were taken so we walked over to a building and sat on the cement and leaned against a wall.  

I observed a number of neat t-shirts while waiting.  All too often I see a neat t-shirt but miss the last word or I forget to write it down and soon forget it.
A couple who looked like gringos with a young girl sat down on the metro steps across from us.  I listened for a while to see if I could hear them and I thought I detected a language that sounded like German so I didn’t say anything to them.

Teresa said she wanted to wait until the sun went down before getting back on the metro but I’m sure she was kidding.  We finally left about 5pm and I convinced her to get off at Parque Berrio where we caught a Simon Bolivar bus right away and were back at my apartment before 6pm.  That impressed her again.

We talked about what furniture pieces to keep for the finca and which to leave behind.  We decided to give the kitchen table with 5 chairs back to Reina and try to sell the refrigerator and my large platform bed.  I called Jhon and asked him to keep an eye out for anyone who might like to buy them.  I also told her we could put up a card in Exito announcing them for sale.

We talked about building a closet for me in the large master bedroom almost exactly like the one I have now.  She said it should cost about $500 and I told her that’s exactly what I have in my savings account so I would give her 1 million pesos this weekend.

She still isn’t sure what voltage is in her bathroom so I’m going to wait a little longer before purchasing the hot water heater.

We stopped in Exito so she could buy some arepas and cheese and she got in a car “effectivo” (cash) they call it for a private ride to Aquacatala station followed by a bus to her finca.  I’ll see her next on Saturday afternoon about 2pm.

T-shirt of the day: When nothing goes right, go left.

No comments:

Post a Comment