Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Friday, February 15th, 2013



TGIF everyone!

Regarding Building Materials
All of the apartments I have been in are built the same; the walls, ceilings, and floors are concrete with tiled floors.  Because of that sound really reverberates through the building. 

I was awakened about 4am this morning by, apparently, someone’s radio alarm.  Then I thought I heard someone open or close the front door.  I realized I hadn’t checked the locks before I went to bed so I got up.  On the way to lock the door I saw a light under Dylan’s door and under the guest bathroom.  I remembered Reina telling me he was going to be visiting a friend today to study with.  I guess he’s getting up early.  After getting back to bed I heard a lot of rummaging around and I thought why didn’t he take care of that the night before?  Then I heard what sounded like a double crash, one right after the other.  That’s when Reina got up to see what was going on.  The next morning I saw the mirror we had hung in the hallway was broken.  I guess Dilan must have bumped it and that was the crash I heard and that’s why it took Reina so long to come back to bed – she was helping clean up the mess.  I’m glad I stayed out of it.

9am and the garbage men just came through.  Pretty late compared to the other times when they came by just after 8am.  And, yes, the guy is here shifting through the garbage again for recyclables.

I got another surprise yesterday.  The windows on the back wall of the bedrooms are, for the most part, smoked glass.  The top of the window from the 6 to 7 foot level is louvered so it can be opened for fresh air.  Reina got a chair and was looking out the back.  I was surprised to see what looks like the world’s smallest swimming pool or a Jacuzzi in the back of our building.  What’s most interesting is I have no idea how you would get to it, but it clearly looks like it belongs to our building.  Each building is attached to the next so there’s no way you can get through that way.  And the extra doors downstairs I am pretty sure are for the 1st floor apartment and the 2nd garage.  In fact there’s a 3rd garage and I don’t know how to get to it from the downstairs hallway unless it is attached to the apartment from another side.

Reina told me Dylan tried to kill a wasp that was on the mirror and, since it’s only hanging there, not really attached to the wall, that’s when it fell and broke.  I'm glad it was a cheap mirror and he didn't hurt himself. She said he was really embarrassed and afraid it would spoil my breakfast – whatever that means.

A girlfriend Liliana came over and had lunch with us.  She sells products for the eyes.  I think some of the items she sells would require a prescription in America.  She gave me an eye drop sample.  Now I know where I can find them after my Walgreens eye drops run out.  

After lunch the 3 of us took a walk north and then west and stopped and had ice cream.  We then walked to the nearby shopping mall.  I think I finally figured out its name - Centro Commercial Viva Laureles.  I think from now on I’ll just call it Viva!.  It has an Exito (with a Payless shoe store in back) and a Mac Center (an Apple store).   Fast food restaurants include Subway, Burger King, Sarku and El Corral.  Nicer restaurants include Lenos & Carbon and Il Forno.  There are also several ice cream stores and a Cinnabon.  And there are many stores selling what looks like upscale clothing.  I also saw a Swatch store and a store that sells nothing but children’s backpacks.  BTW, some guy handed us a flyer on the way in.  Burger King is having a special – a whopper (125gr.), fries (74 gr.) and a 16 oz. Pepsi for 9,900 pesos (appr. $5.50).

I’m also getting a better idea of where we live on the map.  We are a little further west than I thought.



Regarding toilets: the toilets here look and work the same as in America the only thing is in many public places they don’t have seats.  (My legs aren’t that strong. Lol)  In the homes I’ve been in I’ve noticed the water supply is turned off.  I think maybe because many of them leak.  I’ve also realized you can save a lot of water this way because most of the time you just pea.  So when you get to the toilet you turn on the water and by the time you are done the tank hasn’t had time to completely fill up.  So when you flush it removes the urine with less than a full tank of water and you turn the water supply off again until next time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment