Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Saturday, February 9th, 2013



This morning I sent the following letter to the owner of the building:
Mrs. Montes,

I have to mention an issue which is one of safety.

I'm sure you know the hallway lights are motion activated and do not come on until you are almost next to them.  They also turn off rather quickly when they no longer detect any motion. 

This isn't a big issue when entering the building at night.  I don't mind walking a few steps in the dark until I get to the first one. 

It becomes more of an issue when trying to unlock the door at night.  There is no light on the 2nd floor landing.  I can see open electric wires in the ceiling but no fixture has been installed.  When you pass the last light coming up the stairs and you are trying to find the right key and put it in the right lock in the right direction, opening both locks in the few seconds you have before the stair light goes out can be quite a challenge.

The real issue comes when you leave the apartment at night.  When you close the door it is entirely dark.  You then have to grope your way in the dark to find the railing without falling down the stairs.  Then you have to walk down several steps before the stairway light is activated.

I think this issue can be solved most effectively if a fixture were installed on the 2nd floor landing.  I hope this can be taken care of before there is an accident.

Respectfully,
Terry Andresen

The whistle guy is back again and this time I noticed he is carrying a sheathed machete.  He stopped in front of our building for a few minutes and appeared to be studying it.   I think he was talking to one of the tenants in my building.  I saw a car pull away and then the whistle guy left right away.

I spent most of the morning trying to do a change of address for social security, my pensions, and my banks.  I was partially successful, for example, Citibank does not allow for a 2-line address even when you specify he address is foreign.

This afternoon we visited with her Aunt Blanca on the other side of town.  What was nice is her boy, Carmilla?, speaks some English.  He is studying statistics in the university.  While there I also did my first Facetime session from my iPad.  I had prearranged to contact my son, Jim, on his birthday about 4:30 or 5:00.  After he didn’t appear for a while I remembered the time difference.  During standard time Medellin is in the same time zone as Eastern Time.  So I waited another hour and we had a short conversation.  There was some background noise where I was at because other people were having their own conversations.  He opened the presents I had given him before I left; a $100 Best Buy gift card and a DVD copy of the original recording of the Chicago Bears 1986 Superbowl victory over the New England Patriots.  He says he will use the gift card towards a new laptop.

Then we took a taxi to her cousin’s house and spent some time there visiting with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment