Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013



8:15 and that white paneled truck with the loudspeaker mounted on top just showed up next door again.  The loudspeaker blasts something out in Spanish with some background music.  A man takes a small package out of a cooler and walks to the apartment next door.  Maybe this is the Colombian equivalent of Peapod?

8:45 and I saw the pretty bird sitting on a utility cable.  I grabbed my camera and took a quick picture but it flew off before I could refocus for a closer shot.  You have to zoom in to see him:
Can you see the yellow bird on the wire?


Garbage pickup this morning at 9:15.  This is the recycling guy:
Recycling, Colombian style.

A man stopped by this morning and dropped off a phone book – yellow pages.  Remember those?  Lol.

About 1:30 we walked over to cousin Angela’s house so Reina could see Marcela’s baby Maria Antonia.  On the way, at one point, Reina turned to me and said that woman that just walked past us was Americano.  How did she know?  She said something about the color of her skin, and her height, and something else I didn’t understand.  

It was almost a 20 block walk.  While there Angela loaned us 50mil.  

On the walk back we were crossing the street and some man comes up behind me and made some comment about the weather – in English.  He was on the way to Mimo’s to have ice cream with his daughter.  He told me it is 2 for 1 every Tuesday at Mimo’s.  Of course, I asked Reina if she would like some ice cream.  (Is the Pope Catholic?)  We joined them for ice cream and I learned his name is Ulrik Andersen, he is from Denmark and he has been here for 1 ½ years now.  We had a nice conversation about life in Colombia.  He mentioned he was robbed at the mall we were at last Friday - Los Molinos.  He had just gotten into a taxi and a man shoved a gun in his face from just outside the car.  It was only afterwards he realized the taxi driver must have been an accomplice because he was reluctant to call the police. 1 I think it’s time to leave my gold cross and chain at home.

We exchanged names, addresses and phone numbers and I told him I would call him to invite him to our housewarming party.

We then stopped at Exito and picked up some chicken, beef, salt, and coffee for 24mil. 
 
Regarding wildlife
I really haven’t seen much of anything other than the many dogs and few cats you see in the neighborhoods.  No squirrels or rabbits.  Pigeons and doves are common and I occasionally see that pretty greenish or yellowish bird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment