Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Monday, January 28th, 2013



Last night I slept on the hardest bed I think I’ve ever slept on in my life but that didn’t prevent me from sleeping through the night.  I no longer set an alarm for 6am like I used to.  This morning I got up about 7:30.

Another first, a suicide shower.  Before I say more, read this first:
This shower head comes out about 12” from the wall so you have to get very close to the wall.  Then there is a shower caddy hanging from it that is easy to bump into.  My head comes to a level at the top of the suicide shower (I’m 6 feet tall) so I have to bend over to get under it.  Of course there are exposed (though insulated) wires coming from the wall to the shower itself.  

Reina wasn’t feeling well.  She had a sore throat so first thing we took a taxi to a clinic and waited about an hour to see the doctor. She paid 23,000 pesos (about $13).  After he examined her, he told me (in English) she has tonsillitis and her tonsils should be removed.  She then went into another room and she says they gave her 3 shots.  She paid a little bit more for the medicine.  Then over about the next 45 minutes they had her hooked up to an IV.  At least the clinic was air conditioned.  She told me we were going to go for lunch and then come back for her to get an injection in her butt.  (I have no idea what the difference was between her shots and her injection.)

At 11:30 we had a nice lunch across the street at Asados su Rancho.
I had a small salad, an arepa, French fries and chicken served like sizzling fajitas back in the states.  She had some type of steak and beans and something that looked like a slice of pineapple that she didn’t want so I ate it.  I’m pretty sure it’s some type of vegetable.

Then we went back to the clinic where she got her shot.

It was 1pm and we were supposed to get another 2,000,000 pesos and then meet Walter with the notary to sign papers at 2:30.  

First we took a taxi downtown and exchanged $200 for pesos.  

Then we took a taxi to a Citibank and tried again to get money out of the ATM.  Again it told me the money I was asking for was above the limit for my card.  We talked to one of the officers at the bank and he told me (in English) I need to contact my bank in the states to find out what the problem is.  

We stopped by a sports bar called The Lion’s Den near Parque Lleras to see how it looks and ensure they will be showing the Super bowl next Sunday night.  The “receptionist” spoke a little English but she gave me a look like a deer in the headlights when I asked about the Super bowl.  She did give me a number for a man to contact Saturday night about it.

Since we didn’t have the deposit money for the apartment, we headed back to Aunt Helen’s.  

I looked on the internet and finally found a place where I could chat with someone from CitiBank who told me I have to call the states to inquire about my problem.  He gave me a couple of numbers I could use.

Because Reina’s cell phone can only call other cell phones, we went across the street to a little “internet café” where there were about 3 guys playing games on the computer.  We used the phone attached to a fax machine to call the states.  She started the call and when she heard English she gave the phone to me.  The customer support rep couldn’t tell me anything until he verified my identification.  It took about 30 minutes for that.  (Reina had to go across the street to retrieve my laptop so I could verify some purchases.)  Finally the rep told me he would reset my account and from then on I could only withdraw a maximum of $1000 each weekday.  (If I made withdrawals over the weekend, then they would count towards my Monday maximum.)  So I guess we will withdraw $1000 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and we should have the entire amount required for the apartment.

A little later we walked down to a couple of local grocery stores and picked up a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment