Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013



Coming out of the shower this morning I spotted another lizard.  This one was only about 1½” long.  I kept an eye on him as I was drying off and getting dressed and then I managed to catch the quick little bugger and I tossed him over the balcony.  He was so light he seemed to float down to the tile below.  I found a small part of his tail still wiggling in my hand afterwards.  When I took out the garbage a few minutes later I didn’t see his body so I guess he survived the fall.

I have some good news but first I have to start by sharing some bad news I neglected to share earlier.  On Wednesday morning February 20th Dilan informed Reina he got his girlfriend Laura pregnant.
Dilan asked me via Google Translator: “please she can stay with us here while I can I will help with the expenses of the house that she was kicked out of the house and not have to go alone am responsible can be with me and will not let my research work and she also study and work you say?”
So I gave him permission for Laura to stay in his room.  (I had no idea how long this would be for.)

But good news - a week later Laura was back home; I guess her parents forgave her.
Now the really good news I heard this morning: Laura had a blood test and the doctor says she isn’t pregnant.  Her mother is going to take her to the doctor for some kind of birth control I haven’t heard of.  (I guess Roman Catholics here aren’t as strict as I thought.)  If I understand Reina correctly she will get 5 shots and then be safe for 5 years.

Reina called Immigration and found out I have to report to their office at 7:45 this Friday morning to have another picture taken for my Cedula.

Today I finished reading “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” on my Nook.  It was an Oprah Winfrey recommendation.  It was a good read; I only skipped a few parts where they went too deep into her extended family’s life.

Just before noon Jesus showed up with some tools.  He also brought me 4 rubber door stops I had asked for.  Now since we will be able to keep the doors open maybe we can catch a little breeze.  He created a frame for the mirror and then started working on rebuilding the platform bed.  He’s putting slats across the entire width of the bed.  Some of the wood is oak and the rest is some kind of wood that’s even stronger.  Believe me, it’s a lot of work to cut those boards down to the correct size with just a hand saw.  If he had a circular saw he would be through them in no time.

About 6pm they delivered the mattress, mattress cover, and pillows for the guest bedroom and we gave them almost literally the last peso we had on hand to pay for them.  

About 6:30 Jesus finished the platform bed.  Now it doesn’t move or make any sound when you sit or lay on it.  We had just money left to give Jesus 10mil for bus fair.
We went to Viva, took some money out of the ATM and had ice cream at Mimo’s for our dinner.  Tuesday is 2 for 1 day.  (Later we also had an arepa before we went to bed.)  Then we went to Exito.  Eggs were on sale 30 for only 6,490 pesos so we bought 2 packages.  And meat: chicken, beef, and some beef pieces that Reina will use to make soup.  Also tomatoes, a couple of different kinds of saltine crackers, arepas, canola oil, soap to wash clothes and a package of nacho chips to serve with guacamole.  Later we realized we forgot to buy dish soap so we have to go back to Exito tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment