Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday, March 22nd, 2013




It was probably a good thing we went to bed early as I was up about every 2 hours to go to the bathroom.  I hadn’t been taking my medicine for my enlarged prostate as it seemed I got up a couple times a night whether I took it or not.  But after last night I think I’ll start taking it again.  I didn’t get up until 7am which probably allowed me to wake up without feeling tired.

Another mystery solved.  When I took out the garbage this morning I checked the garage and found a paper from the gas company.  I think it shows an initial meter reading of 27m3.  I can’t read what is written at the end because it’s in script (and neither can Reina).  But it apparently has the landlord’s name on it – Jaime Chacon Maldonado.  When I heard him pronounce his name last week the closest it sounded like in English was Hymie.  Because in Spanish “J”s are silent, Jaime would sound like Hymie.  So, I’ll probably go back to my earlier posts and change/add his name to Jaime.

I emailed my 1099Rs as attachments (8) to my tax accountant in Virginia.  She was referred to me by one of the other Colombian Expats.

8:50 and the garbage truck finally came through.

I finished reading the book Madoff with the Money.  I thought it was better than Too Good to be True: The Rise and Fall of Bernie Madoff.  This book was more about his personal life while the other was more about his business life.  Next up is Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman.

At noon Dylan showed up with his friend Andres and told us he played soccer at the Medellin stadium today.  

I just remembered what my haircut reminds me of.  It’s just a little longer than the haircut you get before you enter basic training in the army.

3pm and I started watching the soccer game between Colombia and Bolivia being played in Barranquilla, Colombia.  I watched for 30 minutes before Colombia scored and I realized I’ve been rooting for the wrong team.  Reina had mentioned that the green uniforms looked like her favorite Medellin team so I thought that was the Colombian team.  I guess I should have noticed that everyone in the stands was wearing a gold jersey and that would be the color of the Colombian team’s jerseys.  4pm and it starts poring here; 4:03 and it stopped raining.  Reina made popcorn; this time with a much more appropriate amount of butter and salt.  It was ready just in time for halftime (have to work on the timing).  Game ended at 5:05 with a 5-0 win for Colombia.

Dogs
I’m amazed by how well trained most of the dogs are here.  I don’t remember seeing any dog pulling its master like you would in the states.  They don’t growl or act aggressively when you walk past them on the street.  And often they walk without a leash - either next to or just ahead or behind their master.

No comments:

Post a Comment