Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday, March 28th, 2013




I asked Reina if she had any money left from yesterday.  She said 2mil, just enough to buy a package of arepas for Saturday.

There is a beautiful full tree next door near our side of the property line.  Its leaves are large – as long as a horse chestnut though not as wide and dozens of them are shed every day; the owner is often out raking them up.  There must be a number of nests in there as I have noticed different species of birds flying into it at different entrance points and I have seen a number of birds chase other birds away.  This morning I saw 2 of those yellow birds on top of the tree and when a third bird approached they both chased it away in a high speed chase and all 3 of them came my way.  I don’t think they saw me sitting on the balcony until the last second because they all got within about a foot of me before turning away.  It all happened so fast I didn’t even have time to react.

The neighbors next door often get small food deliveries during the day.  That “Peapod” van for example often stops there.  This morning there’s a man on a bicycle with plastic milk crates attached to both the front and the back with 2 large metal milk cans in the back crate and one in the front with a plastic cooler.  The house next door is the only one I can see him stopping at on our street.  Today he has no luck as he leaves right away.  My best guess is the milk cans contain something hot like soup.

I emailed my tax accountant requesting to file my federal tax return in May instead of April.  (I understand expatriates have an additional 90 days to file beyond the traditional April 15th deadline.)  That would give me the month of April to get caught up on paying back my Colombian debts and May to pay off my American debts.

After lunch Reina wants to take a walk to the mall to see the pets in the pet store.  They have a cute little kitten we might adopt if it’s still there next week.

12:15 A van drives down the street playing some repetitive tune on its loudspeakers.  The back of the van is open and you can see rows and rows of donuts they are selling.  First time I’ve seen that.  Reina says they aren’t good; she knows a place where we can get good donuts.

Right after lunch we spent a couple of hours at the Laureles Mall.  As mentioned previously it is just on the other side of Viva! Mall.  Laureles Mall is laid out like 3 long parallel rectangles.  One of the outside rectangles contains small shops including 2 which are pet stores.  The middle rectangle is mainly an open air food court with about a dozen small restaurants.  The other outside rectangle is a grassy area with a couple of small playgrounds.  A lot of owners walk their dogs there.

Some of the stores and restaurants are closed; probably just for Easter Week.  At the pet store we saw that the free kitten was no longer there.  I hope it went to a nice home.  We walked into the food court area and who did we see but Jesus having a beer alone at one of the tables.  We sat down with him for about an hour.  We didn’t have any money but he was kind enough to buy each of us a soda and a slice of chocolate cake to share.  Reina’s soda was named “tutti frutti” which I thought was interesting for some reason.  One of the dogs there was a full sized Great Dane.  It was interesting to see him play with the smaller dogs especially when he approached a Chihuahua.  The little dog raised itself up on its hind legs and tried to push the Great Dane’s head away.  What really surprises me is you never hear any barking or growling.  Colombia has a bird similar to our dove but sometimes smaller like our sparrow.  They walk around the food court looking for crumbs.  They walk right under your feet with no concern.  I took a piece of cake and laid it at my feet and they ate it without looking at me.  I put a piece on my finger and one of them ate it right off my finger.  I could feel his beak “bite” me.

We cut through Viva! Mall on the way home and a young lady handed us a flyer from Burger King.  It was the same flyer I mentioned weeks ago.  I no longer think it’s a special, I think it’s their regular price - $5.50 for a Whopper, fries and 16 oz. Pepsi.  I wonder how this compares to US prices.  Maybe about the same?

Reina asked me and I agreed to pay 70mil so Dylan and Laura could go away to a finca (country home) this weekend.  I’m going to reimburse them next week.  About 3pm they showed up with 3 small dogs – a Scottish Terrier and 2 Chihuahuas.  The Chihuahuas never stopped barking and growling at me.  I’ve never liked Chihuahuas.  The Scottish Terrier was nice and would go with me with no problem.  I loaned Dylan my small suitcase to hold their things.

My tax accountant informed me that her fee is $138.  And she informed me that the IRS charges: 5% for failure to file; .05% for failure to pay plus interest which varies with the prime rate, about 3% now.  I decided I’ll pay her fee this month, file on time (April 15th), and pay the IRS no later than the 1st week of June.

5:30 and there’s a bunch of kids playing noisily in the street outside.  This being unusual, I’m guessing they are visiting relatives for Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment