Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Monday, February 25th, 2013


Reina informed me last night there wouldn’t be any garbage pickup today and sure enough there isn’t any garbage out on the curb this morning.  I guess today is one of their many Monday holidays.  According to my copy of Culture Smart - Colombia the Essential Guide to Customs & Culture: “The Colombian calendar is full of days off work, a combination of both religious and national holidays.  Urban residents celebrate their days off in a low key way with family and friends… There are so many public holidays in Colombia that it seems like every Monday is a day off work. Many of these today are regarded as simply days of rest rather than specific religious holidays.”  Reina reminded me that many Colombians work on Saturday so Monday gives them a much needed extra day of rest.

I forgot to mention one important point from yesterday. Dilan told his mother that he and Laura were robbed the night before. They were in the El Poblado commune (a rich area) and at knifepoint were relieved of their money and cameras.  Laura lost her pay from the last 15 days of work.  They were only able to get back home after Laura called her parents and they picked them up in their car.  

I told Reina about the pepper spray I brought with me and she gave me permission to tell Dilan about it.  It’s small enough that you can carry it unnoticed when you are walking in an area where you might feel threatened.  I’m going to take it with me next time we take a lot of money out of an ATM.

I emailed CitiBank and asked them to add a space before Int201 in my address.
Added my address and telephone number to the US government’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  Now they know where to contact me in case of an emergency.

About 1pm we took a bus downtown.  We stopped at a kiosk and Reina had copies made of her and Dilan’s Id (Cedula).  We then went to some governmental office and waited in line (seated) for her turn to talk to somebody.  After about 45 minutes in a stuffy, hot room she got her turn.  After a few minutes we went up 1 floor where, thank God, at least it was fairly cool.  After about 5 minutes we were sent back to the same room.  After another 5 minutes we were done and took a hot, stuffy bus back home. 
Actually we stopped at Exito first and I called John Escobar and invited him and his American friend Tommy Cornish to our March 9th housewarming party.  Reina hasn’t given me a time as yet so all I could tell him was sometime in the evening.  Then we stopped in Exito and picked up a couple loaves of bread and a small package of crackers for 7mil.

On the way out we splurged and she bought a long roll of candy that looked like beef jerky and a large chunk of coconut for about 2mil from an outside vendor.  You’re supposed to take a bite of the hard candy and then a bite of the coconut and chew them together.  It was interesting at least.

Regarding police cars
Police cars here have the flashing red and blue lights but I haven’t heard any siren.  And nobody seems to try to get out of their way; they just sit in traffic jams like any other car.  (So what’s the reason for the lights?)

No comments:

Post a Comment