Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Saturday, February 16th, 2013



After breakfast we put a lot of our dirty laundry in my largest luggage bag and we took a taxi to her mother’s house.  Her mother, with Reina’s help, washed it all and put it out on the line.  Her sister also loaned us 130,000 pesos until next month.

Did I tell you they have a pet parrot?  For the first time today I got him to sit on my finger.  Before today I was afraid he would bite it off.  Lol.  

It was a cool morning and there wasn’t any sun and Reina recommended I wear a long sleeve shirt.  I think you can always be comfortable here in a short sleeve shirt and I have been looking for times when I can wear one of the half dozen long sleeve shirts I brought.  That turned out to be a mistake.  Later the sun came out and it warmed up.   And sitting in people’s houses, or especially their kitchens gets quite stuffy and uncomfortable.  I can’t imagine trying to wear a long sleeve shirt in the afternoon again.  

After the laundry was out on the line, Reina and I walked about 3 blocks to a girlfriend’s house.  She has a little store in the front and she also serves as a small Internet Café.  If I understood correctly she charges about $1 an hour.  We sat in her living room in the back and talked for a while.  She had a couple of containers of “vitamins” whose instructions are in English and I read them and explained in my broken Spanish what they were for and the directions for taking them.

Later we took her mother for ice cream.  It’s about a 6 block walk and I think the 3 large “sundaes” cost about 20,800 pesos (about $11.50).  We waited a little longer for the laundry to dry and then took a taxi back home.

We walked the 3 blocks to the Exito and Reina picked up 30 eggs (they came in a 6 x 5 “carton”), a package of milk (it comes in bags with 3 bags packaged in a cardboard carton) while I picked up a box of inexpensive pens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment