Friday, March 1, 2013

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013



We were approaching Parque Bolivar (Simon Bolivar park) and there were a lot of police cars with police officers around carrying shotguns and automatic weapons.  They were "wanding" some people approaching the park but not us.  On one side street I saw a couple of armored vehicles (not tanks).  I had Reina ask what was going on and I understand there was some movie star was going to be there later.  BTW, I often see armed (pistols or shotguns or automatic weapons) guards at the entrance to malls and banks.  That's one way to discourage the bad guys.

Went to her cousin Angela’s house in Laureles.  She has a large apartment (4 bedrooms) on a very nice, peaceful street.  We walked up the street and she showed us 2 apartments (from the outside only).  

We stopped at a bank ATM so I could take out pesos using my ATM card.  Nothing unusual here except all the commands were in Spanish and it took me several tries before I got the process right.

The 1st apartment is on the 3rd floor of a 6 Story building.  She says it is only $450 a month. 
The 2nd apartment is on the 1st floor and it is $800 a month.  We could peek in and see 2 small (10 x 12?) bedrooms.  Of course, since it’s on the 1st floor there are bars on the windows.

We're going to come back and hopefully see the inside tomorrow.

We then went to a local Italian restaurant and Reina and I shared a pizza.  It wasn’t as good as Chicago’s pizza but it was okay except they put chichiron (sp?) on it.  

Reina told me Angela and her husband are no longer together.  According to Reina, Angela always wants more money from Jim to spend on clothes and shoes.  Angela has asked Jim for a divorce but now Angela doesn’t have any money to pay her rent.
Got back to the hotel and discovered the large toenail on my right foot is black and blue.  I think I’ve been doing too much walking in my new shoes.  Tomorrow I’m going to wear my old gym shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment