Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wednesday, May 14th, 2014



Last night I went to bed at 11pm.  (I took my last Amoxycillin so I no longer have to force myself to stay up that late.)  I got up twice during the night and woke/got up at 6am.

I had an orange juice at Redd’s followed by my usual breakfast at El Comedor de Chava and then took some cash out of the ATM.  

After my Spanish class, Jhon and I walked down to the east side of LM and waited for a Santra Belen 315 bus.  After we saw 5 buses going in the wrong direction I suggested to Jhon that he stop the next bus and ask the driver if this bus comes by here in our direction.  We found out we needed to go a block further east across the street from the Molinos gym.  

We caught a Santra Belen 316 bus after only a 5 minute wait.  It was only a 12 minute ride and drove right past the Chess League at the Stadium so I think that might be faster for me than the Laureles 191 bus I had been taking.  It’s nice to have options.  We got off on Calle 50 at Carrera 66 at a crossover bridge and walked a few blocks south.  We sat down at a corner tavern where I met Monica, an old friend of his that works there.  Jhon used to work in this area when he had a TV production studio.  Monica is about 40 years old, with a 22 year old son studying mathematics at the University of Antioquia and a 12 year old son.  She is cute, petite, with a few extra pounds but a pretty nice figure.  She was working but she joined us at our table a number of times.  She works every day until about 4pm with perhaps a start time of 7am.  Listening to her talk reminded me, for some reason, of Charo (aka Maria Del Rosario Mercedes Laura Jennifer Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza De Rasten).  Lol.  I also met her burly brother who looks like a construction worker but he is the owner of the tavern.  We kidded with each other quite a bit.  At one point she gave Jhon her telephone number and I grabbed the note and added it to my cell phone.  Later I wrote down the quadratic equation to give to her son with my cell phone number and name for her.  Jhon went across the street and bought 4 empanadas with hot sauce for us for our lunch.  Jhon had 3 beers (and numerous cigarettes) and I had 2 Cokes and 1 small bottle of water.  We got there about 1:30 and stayed until 3:45.  Jhon had already paid for everything except my water so I paid Monica with a 10mil note and let her keep the rest for a tip.

We continued walking to the end of the block, turned right and walked 1 block west where we caught a Santra Belen 315 bus.  We got off right behind LM within about 10 minutes.

At the apartment I had a bowl of cereal, picked up my chess set and was at Villa de Laureles by 5pm.  My opponent was the same strong opponent I beat last time.  I’ve lost the coin flip for my last 3 important games so I was feeling pretty confident this time, but no, I lost and ended up with the black pieces again.  This time I offered to play with a chess clock and he agreed to 1 hour for each of us.  I was able to play something similar to my usual opening but he delayed castling for quite some time in order to push pawns at my castled king.  I held the attack and then pushed a pawn to attack his knight but if he took it with his pawn I should be able to threaten mate and generate an attack that should result in at least 2 more pawns.  Instead of moving his knight he took the pawn so I captured with my queen threatening mate on the back rank.  He should have moved his queen over to give the king an escape square but he took my free pawn and I mated him on the next move.  Dario presented me with a nice little trophy that says (translated to English): 2nd Chess Tournament – Villa Laureles 2014 – Adult Champion.



T-shirt of the day: I have Sexdaily!  I mean dyslexia!  FCUK.

No comments:

Post a Comment