Sunday, March 8, 2015

Wednesday, March 4th, 2015



I got up at 8:15, took my shower, had some cereal and we left the finca at 9:45am.  I had 3 dog biscuits left after giving Peter one so we could catch him and put him in the shed.

I paid my 2 dog biscuit toll to the doberman.  At the top of the hill Teresa saw a bus that would take us directly to Medellin so she started running down the path.  I tried to keep up with her but I don’t know why she thought the bus would still be there when we arrived 5 minutes later.  It wasn’t.  On the way I was surprised by a brilliant green snake about 3-4’ long curled up in the middle of the path.  Teresa said it wasn’t dangerous.

We waited about 20 minutes to catch a bus and in the meantime Teresa changed from her flip flops into her nice sandals.  Again the bus was stopped by the police and this time they took my Cedula along with everyone elses.  We had to wait about 15 minutes for them to give them back.

At the El Poblado station we took a taxi to MBE for the minimum fare of 4,600 pesos (less than $2) where I paid 15mil for 3 envelopes: 2 change of address notifications from CSC and Vanguard (Zurich) and a 1099-R from CSC.

We took a bus down the road to the Office Depot store.  I saw legal sized hanging files but I didn’t see a storage box for them.  I waited in line about 10 minutes just to ASK for someone who speaks English.  A lady in line served as interpreter for me and a Spanish speaking man showed me where they were – against the wall and above our heads.  One looked like a simple inexpensive storage box so I was happy with what I saw.  I told him we would come back later in the afternoon to make the purchase.

Since we had an appointment with the lawyer in 15 minutes and James had moved we took a taxi to the correct building.  Not only was he in a different building but he had recently changed apartments (different floor) but the guard sent us to the right one.

James’ wife opened the door holding a puppy.  She had 2 3-month old puppies and I asked if I could give them a dog biscuit.  She approved so I took my last one, broke it in half and gave it to them.  I was really their friend after that.

Here’s what I learned from the lawyer:
·       He should have my real estate documents apostilled within 2-3 days for 60mil per signature: (60,000 x 7)/2500 = appr. $168.
·       He didn’t agree with the Union Libre information my brother and I got from Dr. Maria last week.  He said we could get one without waiting for 2 years but it would cost about $400.  (Later Teresa told me that’s too expensive so she wants to talk to the lawyer by the Immigration office.)
·       He said we had about a 50% chance of getting a visitor’s visa for Teresa and Laura but if we got the Union Libre it would increase our chances to about 80%.
·       Teresa had put the finca in her mother’s name when she was afraid her husband might try to take half during her divorce.  Later she put it back in her name only.

I took some cash out of the ATM at Santafe mall and then we had lunch at Frisby for 46mil.

Teresa told me that this Friday is Women’s Day so she kiddingly told me that means dinner, flowers, chocolates, etc.  I suggested dinner at Mu in Parque Lleras but she said we can meet Laura for lunch at Wilson’s Bocados Bar.

She called someone again about her purse but I understand the issue has yet to be resolved.

Teresa mentioned something about returning to the mall for her to look at clothes so I asked her why not today.  We went into Falabella where we finally bought the spatula I’ve been wanting for 24,900 and saw that they have a large selection of toasters.  I’m reading James Michener’s Space and while walking through the store I heard over the PA system “Houston.  Tranquility Base here.  The Eagle has landed.”  Lol.

After looking through a few other stores, on our way out of the mall Teresa commented that all the stores in Santafe are too expensive.

We went across the street and a couple blocks down to return to Office Depot.  I had them take down the storage box (caja para archivo) but the hanging legal file was too large sideways and too small lengthways.  I left very disappointed.

We stopped next door at Cosechas where we each had a fresh fruit drink for 14mil.  

On our bus to Envigado Teresa realized that she left her flip flops by the highway back at the finca so we stopped at a store where she bought another pair for 10mil.  I can’t imagine her trying to climb that hill in her nice high heel sandals.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
She stopped at a cloth store where she bought some material for 26mil so she can make her own blouse.  We took a taxi down to the highway and quickly were on an express bus back to the finca.

We found her old flip flops in the plastic bag right where she left them next to the highway.  Any people nearby probably thought it was a bag of garbage.

I wanted to take my time on the road so as not to raise a sweat but Teresa told me she had to pee so we had to keep moving quickly.  We got past the killer dogs undetected.  I took a shower after I had time to cool down.

I had my brother send me the pictures he took on his visit here and I downloaded them all to my laptop.  I thought they would be in order but I see I’m going to have to do that myself.  I think I’ll separate them more by category rather than date.  After I get that done I should be ready to start posting to my blog.

I gave Laura 10mil which I understand is for her to buy lunch tomorrow.
Tomorrow we are going to call the Lawyer in Belen and Friday we will go to Caldas to buy food.

I took my sleeping pills at 10:30 and we went to bed at 11pm.

T-shirt of the day: Oh my God.  As hot as hell.  Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment