Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday, March 16th, 2014



If you didn’t see 4 pictures of Lucia in yesterday’s posting, go back to view the other pictures she sent me, before you read today’s posting.


Last night I left for LM at 5:45.  At 6:05 I got a call from Lucia that she was at Mimo’s in Viva mall and then she immediately hung up.  Ah, “Mimos” translated to “pampering”, now I understand.  What she probably didn’t know is that there are 2 Mimo’s in Viva mall.  I passed the one downstairs and she wasn’t there.  I went upstairs and she wasn’t there.  I called her and she said she would be there in a minute.  Evidently we went down different hallways – to different Mimo’s.  She approached me with a young girl of about 8 and she didn’t look like her pictures.  Obviously those were old pictures or she has been on Latin American Cupid for a looong time; and she has the big thighs and butt I don’t care for.




Lucia

Lucia and friend

I told her for a good Wi-Fi connection we need to go to Mall de Laureles.  There, with the use of the translator and Lucas’ help later, I learned: the girl is an orphan that Lucia found in a small town outside Medellin; she has been with her for 8 days; the girl has a learning disability and Lucia is going to try to get her into some college class (don’t ask); Lucia’s mother lives in Guatape.

I invited Lucia to see a movie with me Wednesday afternoon followed by dinner and she asked me if the movie will be in my apartment or in the theater.  She was shocked when I told her not only do I not have a television but I don’t have a telephone or a refrigerator.  That’s when she invited me to her apartment Friday night for dinner (after I also told her I don’t cook).  She told me her name is Lucia Velaquez and her apartment is 2 blocks east of the Saludcoop clinic.  She seems like a nice lady and it would be nice to have someone to do things with.

They left about 8pm and I gave her 10mil for a taxi (as she asked; probably enough to cover the cost for both ways).

On the way back to the apartment I stopped at the Tinto store and Gonzalo asked me to meet him there tomorrow morning at 9am for coffee.  A little 5 year old boy came up to me and asked if I spoke English.  I asked him how long he has been speaking English and he said since he was a baby and his parents taught him.  He asked me who I learned English from and I said my parents.  Cute kid!  I stopped at Fresco Pan and had a slice of ham & cheese pizza (no coffee) just before they closed at 8:30.

Check out this website for those of you who like music from the 40s, 50s & 60s: http://www.1959bhsmustangs.com/VideoJukebox.htm  I enjoyed listening to the oldies for the rest of the evening!

Last night I went to bed at 10:30 but didn’t fall asleep until after 1am.  The coffee!  I got up once during the night, woke up at 6:45 and got up at 7am.
I had my usual breakfast at El Comedor de Chava at 8am and was at the Tinto store from 9-9:30 but no sign of Gonzalo.  Back at the apartment I got a call from Harry at 9:55 telling me he was at LM and he would be there for at least another hour.  I finished up a few things in the apartment and was at LM by 10:30.  I showed him the “before” and “after” photos of Lucia and told him the story of our meeting.  After Harry left about 11:15 I spent an hour copying notes into my Spanish notebook.

I was at Pizza Americana from 12:45 to 1:45 but the lady I was looking for was again a noshow.  Last time I ate there they didn’t put any oregano on or in my pizza so I reminded the cook not to forget this time.  This time, after finishing my Nepolitana pizza, I asked him to put in a little less oregano next time.

We had a lot of rain this afternoon and it finally stopped about 5pm.  I took advantage of the opportunity and had a cup of coffee and slice of ham & cheese pizza at Fresco Pan.  Church let out just after I finished so I walked over to Paisa Pan and had another cup of coffee and a churro.  My bill came to 1700 pesos and I gave her a 200 peso coin and a 2000 peso bill and she didn’t seem to be able to handle the arithmetic until I told her my change is a 500 peso coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment