Friday, March 7, 2014

Thursday, March 6th, 2014



Last night I went to bed at 11pm, took a little while to fall asleep, woke up at 5:45, put eyedrops in, took 2 Excedrin, went back to bed, and got up at 6:30.

I had a pastry with arequipe inside and coffee at Fresco Pan from 7:15am to 7:45.  I saw Harry (maybe I should start calling him Ari to distinguish him from “Dirty Harry”) and noticed his eyes were very bloodshot.  He said a couple days ago he fell off a chair trying to put in a lightbulb and his head hit the wall.  I guess he broke quite a few blood vessels in his eyes.

Back at the apartment I finished copying all my chess games into my scorebook.

At 10:30 I saw a 50 something year old man come walking down the street wearing an “I love Egypt” sweatshirt and he turned into the house where I have seen the woman coming out wearing the burka.

Figuring Une workers probably take lunch from noon to 2pm, I left the apartment from 12:27 to 12:33 to get a bag of milk in which to make a waffle for my lunch.

At 1:55 I called Jhon to tell him Une hadn’t shown up yet and I would call him when they arrive so he would know if we are having a lesson today or not.  He told me that they are supposed to call him first.

It started raining heavily but I could see the rain cloud and it should pass shortly.  After 30 minutes the cloud hadn’t moved so I didn’t have a lot of hope the rain would end soon.

Jhon called about 4pm to tell me that Une called and they would be here in 40 minutes.  Jhon came over about 4:45 and Une arrived about 5pm.  They came upstairs and saw where the Wi-Fi is going to go.  I understood they have to connect to a line outside and the worker said they couldn’t do anything until the rain stopped so they knew there wouldn’t be any more lightning.  They were willing to wait a while to see if it stopped but I needed to: get him out of there, get something to eat, catch a taxi to the Stadium, and talk to Brenda with my iPad before the 6:30 start.  I told him, through Jhon, that I didn’t believe the rain was going to end anytime soon so I would rather they come back tomorrow.  He scheduled a noon appointment for me.  

They left, I changed into a long sleeved shirt and took my light windbreaker jacket and big umbrella because it was still raining and getting cooler.

I had a slice of ham & cheese pizza and a cup of coffee at Fresco Pan from 5:30-5:40.  There was a taxi sitting next to the curb so I was pretty sure someone there was the driver.  I told Juliet Maria that I was playing chess at the Stadium tonight and I needed to take a taxi right away.  She spoke to the driver and we were off.  We got to the Stadium at 6pm and I tipped the driver a little more than 2mil.  The inside was flooded again, even worse than before.

I talked to Brenda with great difficulty using my iPad.  I understood she wants to help me find a woman but wants to know more about what I’m looking for.  At one point I called Jhon and he told me she wants to know how old I am.  I never heard the word “aƱos” from her which would have been a great clue.  I told her how old I am and then it was time to start the games.   

This time they set up the chess sets inside – when I was dressed for outside.  My opponent – Walter Estrada, rated 1725 – hadn’t shown up yet so they started his clock.  A man came around yesterday taking everyone’s picture.  I bought mine for 3mil even though you can’t see my face at all.  Now I know what I look like when I’m concentrating on my game. 
Grumpy at the chessboard?

A little over 30 minutes later the TD (Tournament Director) came around and collected the clocks for those games with no opponent so that’s when I knew I had won by forfeit.  This was the first tournament I remember finishing without a loss: 2 wins, 4 draws, and a forfeit win.   Yah!  That should boost my rating!  I believe the tactical practice I got with ChessMagnetSchool.com directly helped in 2 of my games.

Because it was so early, 7pm, I had no difficulty catching a bus back instead of a taxi, saving about 4 mil ($2).

No comments:

Post a Comment