Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday, March 1st, 2014



I went to bed at 10pm, had trouble getting to sleep (for the first time in the new apartment), got up a couple times during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6:30.

After shower and shaving I left the apartment about 7:30, walked over to Los Mejores (using the short route and was surprised to see the Tinto store already open), had a coffee and croissant and caught a Laureles 191 bus at 8am.

Probably because traffic was light I arrived at the stadium at 8:20.  Brenda was already at her desk - polishing her nails.  We struggled to talk until finally I got out my iPad, saw there was a Chess League Wi-Fi hotspot and Brenda gave me the password.  Their connection must not be very fast because the letters appearing on the screen couldn’t keep up with our typing.  I understood to keep typing and the letters would come up shortly but Brenda would keep repeating a letter because she didn’t see it come up fast enough and then she would have a series of repeating letters and have to delete them and start over.  Finally, she got across to me that she is already in a relationship.  :(  At 9am the children’s chess lesson started and all I understood was what was being played on the board and it was the queen pawn sacrifice accepted opening.  It ended at 10am and the instructor told me adult lessons are from 8am-9am on Saturdays.  :(  I said goodbye to Brenda and asked if we could be friends and she said “yes”.

I snuck a picture of Brenda but she caught me and didn’t like it; probably because she didn’t have all her makeup on.  I can’t locate it right now but I should have it posted by tomorrow night.

Now I can mention that 2 weeks ago I stopped at one of the stadium stores looking for an A/N jersey in XXL for my brother.  I stopped today and I understood he didn’t have it or couldn’t get it or it didn’t exist, I have no idea.
 
So, I saved 45mil not having to pay for the chess lesson (I don’t think I’ll go back again), maybe 50mil for the jersey, maybe 50mil for the lunch plus 10-20mil for a taxi to and from the restaurant.

I took a Laureles 191 bus and was back at the apartment by 10:30.  I made 2 separate trips to a store on Avenida 80 with curtain rods to be cut and also bought 2 curtain rod brackets.

I had lunch at noon at Pizza Americana.  I got there about 10 minutes before their scheduled opening but they brought out a table and chairs for me and took my order.  A very good pizza and 600ml Pepsi for 11mil and I gave a slice to the owner/manager who made it.  While sitting there I saw the man that I occasionally run into in the neighborhood but I don’t remember his name or where I know him from.  Ahead of him was walking a woman I recognized so I think they are together and she is the one who speaks a little English and said she is married to a rich (older) man.  Maybe that’s why he is always smiling!

I was at LM by 2:30 and sat and chatted with Lucas while he ate lunch.  Reina came by just before 3 and I gave her the monthly tuition for Dylan.  She complained I hadn’t emailed her in a month and I told her I was busy (occupado) with the new apartment.  She said she doesn’t work everyday so I asked her if she is free any day this week and she said “no”.  I told her to tell me the next time she has a day off and we’ll go see a movie together.  She said they have a rat problem in their house and not even rat poison is killing them off; they need a cat to drive the problem out of their house.  She gave me a cell phone tip: if I dial *103# it will send me a text message with the number of minutes I have remaining.  About 3:40 I walked her down the hill towards the Cuban restaurant and she caught a bus downtown.
About 5pm I had a cup of coffee and slice of ham & cheese pizza at Fresco Pan.  Just as I was finishing church let out and the bakery was getting swarmed so I left for Paisa Pan where I had another cup of coffee and a churro.  

Tomorrow should go rather quickly if Margarita’s brother comes prepared with the right tools and knowledge.  I might even manage a movie in the afternoon if the timing is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment