Friday, July 2, 2021

Monday, June 28, 2021

Surgery Day!

We left the apt at 7am for our 8am check-in appointment at CES hospital. We arrived 20 minutes early confirmed my surgery and showed our receipt showing we already paid the 8,000,000 pesos for use of the clinic. We took a seat in an outside waiting room and were allowed back at 8:20. I took a seat and a nurse confirmed my identity and wrote down my scheduled surgery information. Teresa and I went into their private bathroom where I changed into a hospital gown. When I came out the nurse put a sticker over my heart with the surgical procedure I was having today.

I said goodbye to Teresa, actually it was more like “Don’t worry everything will be fine” as they led me into the surgery prep area. This room had space for about 6 gurneys with a clock high over the exit doorway. At a desk they took my blood pressure and oxygen saturation readings then had me climb into one of the gurneys. By this time I think it was just after 9am. Most of those in gurneys were old like me but there was a younger lady and soon they brought in a young man in a wheelchair with rods coming out of his left leg. My thought that he had a motorcycle accident was confirmed when a nurse came over and talked to him and the only Spanish I understood was “accidente de moto”. An older (than old) woman was taken behind a curtain on the other side of the room and some time later she was wheeled out of the room. One-by-one all the others spent some time behind the mystery curtain and were then taken out of the room for surgery. It was now 10:15 and I’m still here while newbies are being brought in. At 10:45 I informed a nurse I had to pee and she directed me back to the bathroom I had changed in.

They soon took me behind the curtain where they put about 6 electrodes on my chest and metal vices on my wrists and ankles and took an ECG reading. They the moved me to another side where I was pretty much under the clock but could see it at an angle. A nurse tried to put an IV line into my hand but messed it up somehow and started over with a new location. I’m wondering what’s holding up my surgery as I watch the clock: 11am, 11:05, 11:10, 11:15.

Finally, at 11:20 a nurse grabbed my gurney and wheeled me halfway through the doorway and then left me there for a couple minutes. They then wheeled me around a corner to the operating room.

If you, the reader, are at all squeamish you might want to stop reading here because I’m going to describe in the best detail I remember 2 days later of my laparoscopic radical prostatectomy and umbilical hernia repair.

The operating room was probably the size of a large master bedroom and they wheeled me next to the operating table. My first impression was it was freezing. With some difficulty, due to the osteoarthritis in my lower back and having laid on the gurney for over an hour it took time for me to skootch from the gurney to the table. Not far overhead were 2 large lamps with 6 large bulbs in each. As I shivered violently there was lots of commotion and fussing going on around me by about six doctors and nurses although I didn’t see my urologist, Dr. Castaño. They put something thick over my chest which wasn’t a sheet or a blanket but helped a little with the cold. They pulled off my pants and told me they were going to begin. I estimate it was now about 10:30. They put a mask near my face and was instructed to breathe deeply. After 4 breaths I had the fleeting thought I’m not going to be under. The next breath I felt I was going and I said “adios, pues” and I woke up (what seemed like) a second later in the recovery room. (It was actually 3 ½ hours later.)

This was a much larger room than the prep room with about 8 gurneys on each side of the wall facing inward. Dr. Castaño stopped by in his wheelchair and asked how I feel. He informed me they removed my prostate and lymph nodes and all looked good but… (it wasn’t until talking to another doctor later that I learned about the “but”) because I was still groggy from the anesthesia. I asked him what time it was and he said 3pm, so my surgery must have been about 3 hours.

I’m not in pain but it feels like someone is stretching the skin around my stomach. I reach down and feel the catheter coming out of my penis leading to a urine bag. It looks to be about 2mm wide and I’m wondering how they got something that large inside me all the way up to my bladder. Later google tells me that the part inside is quite a bit smaller.

The young man from the motorcycle accident was across from me and I could see the rods had been removed. A couple beds down from him was a woman that was still “out”. A doctor stopped by and talked to her but she didn’t wake up. A few minutes later five doctors and nurses, probably 4 nurses and the anesthesiologist, stopped by and the doctor again called her name and lifted her eyelids and checked them. I was a little scared she wouldn’t wake up. Five minutes later her eyes pop open and she looks around and we lock eyes, I give her a wave and without raising her arm at all she waves back.

My feet are freezing as I’m lying there for some time wondering when they will take me to my room. Finally, at 5pm they wheel to my room. Teresa joins me on the way and asks how I feel. “Uncomfortable” is my answer. I’m on my back on the gurney so I didn’t notice until later that there’s a little waiting area with a small sofa and a couple comfortable chairs and a bathroom that I never saw the inside of.

I have to skootch from the gurney to my hospital bed which took some time. When I finally get a cellphone in my hands I take a photo of the operation sight but I can’t even make out the laparoscopic holes because the area is covered with tape.

I start texting family and friends that I’m out of surgery.

A doctor comes in and I learn the “but”. They removed my prostate and lymph nodes but didn’t touch the “nerve bundles” so I should not have erectile dysfunction. The “but” is that one of the lymph nodes appeared to be inflamed. I’m not sure what the consequences of that are but I understand we’ll learn more after we get the pathology report.

Besides the catheter, I’ve got an IV line from my hand up to a bag that looks suspiciously like saline solution but I find out later it’s something to prevent infection. (I also have a line running into my side but I don’t see that until the next day.)

About 7pm they bring me dinner which was chicken mixed with rice, a little potato and piece of “dessert”. Everything was so dry I was happy they also gave me a little container of milk.

I don’t like sleeping on my back to I skootch on my right side which took some manipulating of wires and tubes to accomplish. Teresa curled up on a nearby sofa for the night.

At 9pm a nurse comes in and takes my blood pressure, oxygen saturation level and temperature. All normal.

At 10pm a nurse gives me an injection in my hand IV site which burns as it enters.

At midnight another nurse comes in and gives me what I think were mainly pain pills. One looked different so I asked about it and was told it was to facilitate a bowel movement. Something I was hoping to avoid for few more days.

At 3am another nurse comes in and repeats the process from 9pm.

T-shirt of the day

Live now. Worry later.

No comments:

Post a Comment