Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Are you Safe in Medellin? - by the author of Medellin Living

Allow me to answer the question, “Can you get robbed in Medellín?” by telling you a personal story:

I was robbed, here in Medellín...back in 2011.

I lost my Blackberry smartphone, some cash and (worst of all), my passport.

I was riding in an open-window taxi, and we were at a stop light…

The thief saw me using my Blackberry.

The next thing I knew, a pistol was being held out and I was quickly emptying my pockets and handing over my valuables.

Here’s the “secret:” don’t flash expensive stuff.

Now, this doesn't just apply to Medellín! The same goes, anywhere you’re traveling. Be safe, and keep your flashy stuff at home.

There’s a whole chapter on Safety in my eBook, including a list, “8 tips for staying safe and what to do if you’re confronted.”

It's not the most pleasant of topics, but if you remember my promise to be “real and authentic,” you know I’m going to give you the good with the not-so-good.

Dave

PS: At the risk of repeating myself: You ARE safe in Medellín! Care must be taken, but the minimal risks are vastly outweighed by the benefits you’ll soon discover if you visit this beautiful country.



No comments:

Post a Comment