Sunday, May 10, 2015

Saturday, May 9th, 2015



I only got up once at 6am so I slept through the night.  I finally woke/got up at 9:15.

While adding yesterday’s post, I noticed I received a Google+ notification that an Edwin van den Enden “added you to their circles”.  The name sure sounds Dutch to me.  Interesting because my last name is Dutch, my ancestors having come over from The Netherlands in 1893 and changed their last name from Andriesen to Andresen.

We left the finca at 12:25 and got past the killer dogs undetected.

We had to wait 30 minutes for a bus in the hot sun.  We were running late so at Aguacatala station we took a taxi to Los Molinos.  We arrived at Nova Zhen at 2:15 and while Teresa started getting her hair done I went to the ATM machine.  The ATH (Bank of Bogota) ATM didn’t let me key in the amount I wanted so I had to select one of their options.  I got my haircut and then waited for Teresa to finish.  The total was 81mil.

It was now 4pm so we went upstairs to Kokoriko where we shared fried chicken, an avocado salad and 2 sodas for 42,600.  They had a band playing downstairs with a singer and I heard them play “Last Kiss” in Spanish.  I also noticed a McDonald’s advertisement for a Big Mac for 5mil ($2) and their Big Mac Combo for 9,800 (just under $4).  Are they that inexpensive in the US?

We were waiting for Vicky to meet us and we were wondering why we hadn’t heard from her when I noticed my phone’s sim card said “Emergency” instead of “Claro”.  I removed and replaced the battery numerous times but it still didn’t work.  I tried to remove the sim card but couldn’t seem to get ahold of it.

We finally stepped into a Movistar store where a salesgirl easily removed my sim card and put it in the other slot.  It still didn’t work so we looked at some Samsung smart phones priced at 800,000 to 1 million pesos.  I recalled I read about a Samsung phone that someone recommended but of course I didn’t have the information with me.  After we left the shop I noticed “Claro” appearing on my cell phone again, in the Sim 2 location, so we called Vicky.

We met them near the food court: Vicky, her husband Albero (who speaks a little English), their 9 year old son Samuel and one of her daughters – Daniela.  We walked around the mall looking in a number of stores.  Teresa bought some face cream in the pharmacy for 51,794 and a dress at Tennis for 69,900.

We closed the mall at 9pm and Teresa really wanted to spend Mother’s Day with her sister so we went home with them.   


After Los Molinos Albero stopped to fill up his car at a gas station and I learned that all the stations in Medellin are full serve but there are self serve places in Colombia.


We all stayed up until 1am, they talking, and I playing video games with Samuel.  We played Rainbow Six on the PlayStation 3 and he killed me over and over.  We played Call of Duty on his Wii and I didn’t do any better on that.  There’s just too many buttons and of course I didn’t understand his helpful hints in Spanish.  I started playing Super Mario Universe on Wii but I didn’t know how to proceed because characters’ messages were in Spanish.  He finally fell asleep on the coach and shortly thereafter I went to bed.  I didn’t sleep well because I didn’t have my sleeping pills and it was warmer than I was used too. 

T-shirt of the day: Don’t ruin a good day thinking bad memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment