Saturday, October 12, 2019

Friday, October 11, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 10:45, fell asleep rather quickly, got up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:15.  After the second time I went to bed Teresa was snoring softly so I couldn’t fall asleep.  I nudged her slightly, she moved slightly, the snoring stopped and I was soon back asleep.

After a breakfast of hot oatmeal I left the apt just before 9am for my 10am first match.

I saw a bus go by as I was approaching the bus stop but another arrived after a 7 minute wait.  As I left the Stadium metro station I was 25 minutes early and had visions of having a cup of coffee with plenty of time left for my first match.

Approaching the stadium my usual path was closed for Cirque de Soleil.  I had to walk all the way around to the other side.

The first round was supposed to start at 10am but as usual it started 30 minutes late.  My first match I had White against a man about my age with supposedly a rating of 1499.  I was able to play my usual London System but I overlooked one of his moves and he soon got the advantage and I resigned after the 49th move.

I took a taxi to the Nueve eps clinic in Guayabal and arrived just in time for my physical therapy session.  I only had a small towel with me which I guess she puts on my back for the electrical massage.  It felt hotter than usual and every few seconds I felt a stab, no, more like a pinch in a specific location in my back but I soon got used to it.  After that she had me do an exercise where I put one food flat on the table and put my other food over my leg and raise my back for 5 seconds.  For some reason one side was much more difficult than the other.

From there I took a taxi to Viva Laureles where I ordered the chicken teriyaki from Sarku’s.  After I had my food who did I see but Dario, my old chess playing friend.  He said he hasn’t played in years and would like to start again.  For his convenience we would probably be meeting in Los Malinos again.  (Hmmm, as I recall last time a security guard didn’t like our taking up one of the tables.  Maybe we can meet at the Belen library.)   Outside the window I recognized someone from my old neighborhood and my brother remembered his name – Gonzalo.  When I left he was gone and I caught a taxi back to the stadium.  I noted as we passed that one of the parking lot gates is open.

My 2nd round match was a young boy with a supposed rating of 1297.  We went 66 moves and I resigned as he was about to queen a pawn.

I took a taxi back to the apt arriving about 9pm, just in time to relax a little before going to bed.

7,250 steps today.

Joke of the day
A Russian and an American wrestler were set to square off for the Olympic Gold Medal. Before the final match, the American wrestler's trainer came to him and said, "now, don't forget all the research we've done on this Russian. He's never lost a match because of this 'Pretzel' hold he has, whatever you do don't let him get you in this hold! If he does, you're finished!" 
The wrestler nodded in acknowledgment.
As the match started, the American and the Russian circled each other several times, looking for an opening. All of a sudden, the Russian lunged forward, grabbing the American and wrapping him up in the dreaded pretzel hold.
A sigh of disappointment arose from the crowd and the trainer buried his face in his hands, for he knew all was lost. He couldn't watch the inevitable happen. Suddenly, there was a scream, then a cheer from the crowd and the trainer raised his eyes just in time to watch the Russian go flying up in the air. His back hit the mat with a thud and the American collapsed on top of him making the pin and winning the match. 
The trainer was astounded. When he finally got the American wrestler alone, he asked, "how did you ever get out of that hold? No one has ever done it before!" 
The wrestler answered, "well, I was ready to give up when he got me in that hold but at the last moment, I opened my eyes and saw his genitals right in front of my face. I had nothing to lose so with my last ounce of strength I stretched out my neck and bit those babies just as hard as I could." 
"So, the trainer exclaimed, 'that is what finished him off?!" 
"Not really. You'd be amazed how strong you get when you bite your own junk." 

No comments:

Post a Comment