Sunday, October 13, 2019

Saturday, October 12, 2019


Last night I fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, waking up at 6am and getting up at 6:30.

I left the apt at 9am and quickly caught a bus to the metro.  I arrived at the chess league by 9:45.  (I tried and found a short cut using my old slightly longer route around the stadium.)  It turns out that they aren’t holding Cirque de Soleil in the stadium itself but in one of the sport pavilions.

My 3rd round match was against a young boy with an 1194 rating.  I had the White pieces and his first move was unusual and I had studied the response but I moved too fast and realized later my mistake.  It was another close game but I resigned on the 40th move as his queening a pawn was inevitable.

I decided to walk to Pizza Americana in Laureles for lunch but the temperature got too warm and I changed my mind when I arrived at Obelisco mall.  (Maybe tomorrow I’ll get to Pizza American.)  I was going to go to my usual Tropical restaurant but Colombia was playing Chile on TV and the crowd was just too noisy so I went down the hall to Q’Bano where I had a Philadelphia sandwich.

I called Teresa and she asked me to get a haircut at the old barbershop on Calle 50.  On my way over, the skies turned dark and there were a few raindrops.  No wonder Teresa always wants me to go to this barber, he nearly scalps me.  And I have to pay 20mil for the pleasure.

I still had a couple hours to kill so I walked to Avenida 70 where I had a couple café con leches and a slice of blueberry cheesecake.
My last match of the day was against a young lady with a supposed rating of 1155.  I got to play sort of a Sicilian defense and she blundered a knight on the 10th move and I ended up checkmating her on the 28th move.  I don’t think she saw it coming.  We got a little rain while I was there but there were barely drops as I left.

I took a taxi back to the apt arriving about 6:30.

Well, this month’s epm utility bill finally arrived.  Now all I think I’m missing is the Direct TV bill.

I finished reading Stephen King’s paperback book Revival.

10,530 steps today.

Joke of the day
A farmer got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding, and the trooper started to lecture the farmer about his speed, and in general, began to throw his weight around to try to make the farmer uncomfortable.
Finally, the trooper got around to writing out the ticket, and as he was doing that he kept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head.
The farmer said, 'Having some problems with circle flies there, are ya?'
The trooper stopped writing the ticket and said, 'Well yeah, if that's what they are, but I never heard of circle flies.'
So the farmer says, 'Well, circle flies are common on farms. See, they're called circle flies because they're almost always found circling around the back end of a horse.'
 The trooper says, 'Oh,' and goes back to writing the ticket.
Then after a minute he stops and says, 'Hey...wait a minute, are you trying to call me a horse's ass?'
The farmer says, 'Oh no, officer. I have too much respect for law enforcement and police officers to even think about calling you a horse's ass.'
The trooper says, 'Well, that's a good thing,' and goes back to writing the ticket.
After a long pause, the farmer says, 'Hard to fool them flies though...'

No comments:

Post a Comment