Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Tuesday, October 1, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly and didn’t awaken until 5am (car alarm) finally getting up at 6:30.

Still no wifi.

I left the apt at 8am and walked to the mall.  I deposited a AA battery for recycling, printed some chess notes at Auros, and went up to the 2nd floor to the ATM area.  My goal was to get some 50mil notes but Davivienda gave me 400mil all in 20s.  Sigh!

I went back to the entrance and since I didn’t know how long I would have to wait for Jose I ordered a café con leche at Habia Una Vez.  Jose arrived about a minute later and ordered a tinto.

We chatted awhile and one thing I learned is that a Davivienda ATM in Laureles does not accept his US debit card.  He talked to a bank official and was told that Visa debit cards do not work at their bank.  I beg to differ since I just used mine upstairs not 30 minutes ago.

We went upstairs and had the Complete Breakfast at McDonald’s for 12,900.  I have to admit it tasted pretty good; scrambled eggs, sausage patty, English muffin and coffee.

For our first game I had the White pieces and played my usual London System opening.  He castled queenside and I soon got quite a bit of pressure against his king but he managed to slither away but then blundered and I won the first game on the 35th move.

For lunch I went to Frisby and checked their menu and saw they now have chicken wings bathed in BBQ sauce.  After some consideration I figured I would get 2 pieces of BBQ chicken, a small container of coleslaw and a shake.  It was then that I noticed they had a line of about 10 people.  If only I had looked over the menu while waiting in line.  I guess I’ll have to wait until next time.  I went to Subway and there was a line of about 6 people.  At Presto and ordered a burger, onion rings and a small Pepsi for 28,500.  Jose had a Subway sandwich.

In the 2nd game I had the Black pieces and I played the Nadjorf Sicilian.  It was a close game and after 46 moves ended as a draw.  I was very happy to finish the day with a win and draw against him.

He left to take a taxi back to his apt and I went downstairs to Todo Fresa where I had a café con leche and checked my cellphone.  
About 5pm I called Teresa and asked her if she wanted to see a movie tonight.  She told me she was tired but we’ll see.

I returned to the apt and she said we can go to the movie tomorrow night.  I reminded her that tomorrow is the last night it’s playing here.

I forgot to mention that Lenny gave Laura a 14K gold necklace for her birthday last month.  Either that guy throws his money around or he’s serious about her.

7,017 steps today.

Joke of the day
When Albert Einstein was making the rounds of the speaker's circuit, he usually found himself eagerly longing to get back to his laboratory work. One night as they were driving to yet another dinner, Einstein mentioned to his chauffeur (a man who somewhat resembled Einstein in looks & manner) that he was tired of speech-making. 
"I have an idea, boss," his chauffeur said. "I've heard you give this speech so many times, I'll bet I could give it for you."
Einstein laughed loudly and said, "Why not? Let's do it!" 
When they arrived at the dinner, Einstein donned the chauffeur's cap and jacket and sat in the back of the room. The chauffeur gave a beautiful rendition of Einstein's speech and even answered a few questions expertly. 
Then a supremely pompous professor asked an extremely esoteric question about antimatter formation, digressing here and there to let everyone in the audience know that he was nobody's fool.
Without missing a beat, the chauffeur fixed the professor with a steely stare and said, "Sir, the answer to that question is so simple that I will let my chauffeur, who is sitting in the back, answer it for me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment