Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Sunday, October 6, 2019


Today is my birthday.  Happy Birthday to me!

Last night I went to bed at 10:45, was awakened about 4am by some drunk guy singing and again about 6am by some young man yelling.  I finally gave up and got up at 7:15.

I checked Direct TV and they aren’t showing today’s Bears game so, since we still have no wifi here, I will be going to Patrick’s Sports Pub in Parque Lleras to see it.

I left the apt at 9am and followed the Ciclovia group to downtown Envigado.  I met Glenn at Carbon de Leña where we both had calentado for breakfast.  One of the things he mentioned was when he left our get-together last Sunday he followed his gps to the metro and it got him lost.

Afterward I wanted to locate Casa Ferreteria and I found it just past Todo Drogas on Calle 37 Sur.

I walked back to the apt.  Teresa said if her mother will answer the phone they are going to go to some pueblo.

I left again at 11:30 and caught a taxi to Patrick’s.  Patrick was there changing channels and he showed me on which TV the Bears game would be.

I settled down and ordered a Coke.  I looked through their menu and noticed they are now open at 10am and serve breakfast all day.  I also saw a page advertising a “wheel of fortune” for your birthday.  I could see 3 sections with $100 in each section.  At halftime the Bears were down 17-0.  Yikes!  This isn’t how this was supposed to play out.  I had a bowl of chili while waiting for the 2nd half to begin.  The Bears made a comeback but lost 24-21.  I asked a waitress about their birthday offer and she asked to see my ID.  I showed it to her and she took it in back and returned 5 minutes later with the wheel.  I didn’t see $100 on any of the slices.  False advertising!  I looked it over and all I saw was different shots, beers, etc.  I explained I don’t drink and she showed me the one slice that said “camiseta”.  I told her I would be interested in that and she turned the wheel to “camiseta”.  I won!  She returned my ID and took the wheel with her in back and 5 minutes later a young man came out with 2 t-shirts, one in medium and the other in large.  I took the large.  They took my photo with the t-shirt and with the girls – maybe I’m the first or only winner.  I thanked Patrick as I was leaving.

Since Teresa was probably out of town I figured I was in no hurry so I walked down to Avenida Poblado where I had a 10 minute wait for the bus.  I got off by the gas station and walked down to Parva where I had a café con leche.  In one of my text messages to Laura I understood Teresa was still in the apt.  I called her and she asked me to buy a loaf of breakfast bread.  One of the waitresses helped me pick it out.

Back at the apt Teresa reminded me that if we go to the soft serve place by Merkepaisa I can get a free ice cream.  I wasn’t that interested but I did suggest we order chicken wings later from Go Wings.

Teresa called Frisby first but declared they were too expensive so she placed our usual order from Go Wings for 33,900.

9,142 steps today.

Joke of the day
A woman in a supermarket is following a grandfather and his badly behaved grandson. He has his hands full with the child screaming for sweets, biscuits, and all sorts of things.
The grandfather is saying in a controlled voice: 
"Easy, William, we won't be long".
Another outburst and she hears the grandfather calmly say, 
"It's okay William. Just a couple more minutes and we'll be out of here. Hang in there”.
At the checkout the little horror is throwing items out of the cart. Grandfather says again in a controlled voice, 
"William, relax buddy, don't get upset. We'll be home in five minutes, stay cool William."
Very impressed, the woman goes outside to where the grandfather is loading the groceries and the boy into the car. She says, "It's none of my business, but you were amazing in there. I don't know how you did it. That whole time you kept your composure, and no matter how loud and disruptive he got, you just calmly kept saying that things would be okay. William is very lucky to have you as his grandfather."
"Thanks", says the grandfather, "but I am William, this little bastard's name is Kevin".

2 comments:

  1. HAppy belated birthday. It appears this past year has been good to you except for back and knee issues. I hope those issues don't bother you in your coming year.

    Are there any vegetables you cannot find in Medellin that you miss? I am a big veggie eater and can't find common vegetables that are available in Colombia... I can find out about a lot of fruits but not the veggies. I understand the cooler climate vegetables are not common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife takes care of the vegetables but I have heard veggies aren't real popular in Colombia. I do miss America's sweet corn on occasions. Lots of fruits here though that we don't have in the states.

      Delete